Thursday, July 23, 2015

Laughter, Honesty, Tears...and HOPE

I had an appointment at the hair salon this morning, and so Joshua rode with me to Little Rock, and I dropped him off at Therapeutic Recreation. Ms. Sherrie's birthday is tomorrow, and the adult FRIENDS don't meet on Fridays, so I made brownies and took them to her. They were warm and my car smelled SO GOOD!

Joshua's group went swimming this morning. He said it was really fun. And then they came back to the Center to eat their lunches.

After lunch, the people from the pet therapy place came out and brought 5 dogs for the FRIENDS to love on. Joshua had a blast.

Let's see what all he said today...

*the high-light-hash-tag (that's how he writes it out) of yesterday, was hanging out with his baby sister.
*one of the FRIENDS got a little overwhelmed in the pool, and he had to step between her and two other FRIENDS
*he microwaved his pizza for 40 seconds, and the first piece was fine. The second piece got "code" and he had to microwave it for 20 more seconds.
*one of the dogs looked like Maggie (our Black Lab)

He also said that yesterday, Jenni came up to him and their FRIEND, Sassy B and asked if they were talking about her behind her back.

Joshua said, "Well, I wasn't...but Sassy B was...she said you were being reeeeeeeeeeeally annoying."

I'd like to call that: When Honesty Goes Too Far.

While Joshua was with his FRIENDS, I ran a couple of errands and then went to get my hair cut and colored. I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally wish I could share with y'all what all I learned at the "Beauty Shop," but it's like Vegas...what happens there, stays there.

But let's just say that today's visit out-did itself.

After my appointment, I headed home. I had noticed that my driver's license was about to expire, so I went straight to the DMV place. I was patting myself on the back for taking care of this so promptly, and not waiting until next week. I stood in line for 20 minutes, and when I finally got up to the window...I handed my DL to the clerk. She looked at it and punched some things into her computer. She said, "what exactly were you wanting to do today, ma'am?" I said, "I was wanting to renew my license, because it's going to expire in a few days. She said, "honey, it doesn't expire until 2016."

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

I am now at the point where I think I might need someone to assist me at all times.

Goodness gracious!

And then, when I got home and started looking at IG, I noticed I had a new follower: it was a DEMENTIA AWARENESS account.

I'm not even kidding.

Also, while I was in the Revenue Office place, an elderly man fell and it scared me to death. Apparently, his wife was trying to get new tags, but his name was on everything and the clerk said she couldn't help her...that her husband needed to do it.

SO, the elderly woman went out to her car and brought her husband in. He was verrrrrrry feeble and had a walker. On his way up to the window, he fell. HARD. Walker and all. I rushed to him, along with a couple of other people, and his wife. One of the people was a "kind young man," and he was a big help getting the man back on his feet.

At this point, the "boss lady" came around the counter, and told the woman she would give authorization for her to conduct the business, and for her husband to take a seat. I wanted to snap and say something like, "FINALLY!" Or, "real big of you, now that he's fallen...you big jerk." But I know that places have rules and there are people who like to break those rules...so you don't have to remind me all about that. It's just that, we need to see that there is a need for rule and order, and there is a need for compassion and sensitivity...because what are we...animals? Anyway, THEN the boss lady proceeded to fuss all over him. The elderly lady went back up to the window, to the clerk that had been helping her. The clerk was SO apologetic. She said, "I'm really sorry, I don't have the authorization to override the rules...but my boss does. I'm SO sorry."

I watched them as they left. The "boss lady" offered to help them to their car, and the elderly woman politely refused and said they were "fine." The "kind young man" offered to help them to their car, and the elderly woman said, "thank you...that would be a huge help."

I went back to my place in line, and I had to bite my lip to keep from crying. The tears were RIGHT.THERE. Not falling down, but almost. The elderly man...he reminded me so much of my Dad. He was bent over, like my Dad. He wore big shoes, like my Dad. He shuffled, like my Dad. And he was dressed in "dress pants," and a "dress shirt," and a blazer...just like my Dad. And it's 190 degrees here in Arkansas.

My tears were for the elderly man...but they were also for my Dad. And for the hope that, if my Dad was ever in that situation, some nice person would help him.

And then, tonight, the news that my sweet friend is going to meet Jesus very soon. She has fought so hard, and now it's time to let her go. Prayers would not be wasted for her husband and two children...and for everyone who loves her. This is a good night for her...but a very hard night for her family.

Fly to Jesus, Micah.

"Precious in the sight of the Lord Is the death of His godly ones." Psalm 116:15

No comments:

Post a Comment