Thursday, July 16, 2015

Inside Out

So, today has been a cool day. Not cool, temperature-wise. It's 400 degrees outside. It's just been a nice day.

For the past couple of weeks, Holly and I have been trying to figure out a day to take Joshua to see the Inside-Out movie. Joshua's group didn't meet today, so it seemed like the perfect time.

We went to the first show of the morning, 10:55 a.m. There were mayyyyybe 20 people in the theater...at the most.

We LOVED the movie, and 1 or 3 of us may have teared up...more than once.

And also, SPOILER ALERT: BRING BACK BING BONG.

After the movie, I dropped Holly off at her house, so she could get her study stuff and her dog...and we picked up Chick-Fil-a and brought it home. Holly came over to eat with us.

Joshua asked if Holly was going to study for her "IN-tellect" at our house. He means the NCLEX, which is the big state board test that all nursing students take after graduation. Holly is taking the test in less than a month, so she is studying every day.

ANYWAY, on our drive home, I asked Joshua what his favorite part of the movie was. He said, "I don't know, but it was really good."

I asked him if there was a "message" he got from the movie, and he said, "I don't know."

I said, "well, the messages I got from the movie are: 1) that we don't HAVE to always be happy; 2) that we aren't even supposed to think that we should be happy all the time...God never said that; and, 3) if we let an emotion get out of control, it will take over.

Joshua said, "they didn't show all of the emotions."

I said, "what do you mean?"

He said, "like exhaustion."

I said, "well, exhaustion is not really an emotion. It's more like a physical thing."

He said, "oh. Guess they just showed the main 4 and not the others."

I said, "what others?"

He said, "like anxiety."

I said, "well, anxiety may be a blend of some emotions...or it may be something that we bring on ourselves because we are worrying too much."

He said, "they didn't show bashful or sleepy."

At this point, AND AGAINST MY OWN BETTER JUDGMENT, I went into a lonnnnnng explanation of how "sleepy" is a physical thing, kind of like exhaustion. And being "bashful" is more of a personality trait.

He said, "I know why they didn't show bashful or sleepy."

I said, "why?"

He said, "because they're DORFS...you know, like the 7 DORFS?"

"People with understanding control their anger..." Proverbs 14:29

No comments:

Post a Comment