Saturday, February 28, 2015

The "D" Word and Breakin' It Down

Today was an exciting day! Joshua's Therapeutic Recreation group was having their "Valentine Ball." Except it was postponed because of the Tim Tebow "Night To Shine," so they renamed their dance the "Masquerade Ball."

They were only able to go to TR one day during the week, because of the bad weather, so they had to pack a lot into that day.

Urrrrrrrrch! This is me putting on the breaks to tell a side story:

Thursday was the only day TR was open, because of the weather. When I drive Joshua down to Little Rock on his TR days, I typically keep the radio off, so that I can hear him talk. I told Jim that I think Joshua saved up everything he hadn't been able to say for a WEEK, and let it all out on our trip on Thursday.

He.never.stopped.talking.

He started telling me about a scene from one of his stories.

He said that it was about his girlfriend, Jenni, and her old boyfriend from the 7th grade, Michael. Joshua said that Michael was all in Jenni's face, telling her that she couldn't write names in her baby name book (that's Jenni's "thing" that she does to keep calm). Joshua said that Michael was "taking away all of Jenni's independence and not letting her be herself. And then he SLAPPED her." In his story, Joshua walked up to Michael and Jenni and said, "what's going on?" Michael said, "who are you?" And Joshua replied, "your worst nightmare."

Michael told Joshua to leave them alone. Joshua said, "I saw what you did...you slapped Jenni. Michael said, "So what?"

Joshua said, "that was SO LOW for you to do that. What a (....)"

And it's at this point that Joshua used a word that we do not use in our home. The "D" word.

Well, I guess there are two D words we don't use in our home. This is the other one.

You know, rhymes with RICK?

I KNOW...what in the WORLD?

I'm so embarrassed! And, I seriously about ran off the road.

I said, "JAH-SHA-WAH! That is NOT NICE You may not say that word!" He said, "I know..."

And then he began to mumble really fast and repeat that part of his story over and over. And he said THAT WORD again.

I was trying so hard not to laugh.

Seriously? Where do boys learn this stuff?

ANYWAY...back to the story.

They all made a mask to wear at the dance. Then, Mrs. Alanna divided the FRIENDS up into 3 groups. Joshua was in the "moving tables" group, because, in his words, "DUH...powerlifter here!" One of the other groups decorated for the dance, and another group made lots of yummy goodies to have for snacks.

The dance was supposed to start at 7 p.m., and we planned on leaving our house at 5:45. It was a casual dance, so Joshua wore jeans and a pull-over shirt. He asked me if I noticed the undershirt he was wearing, and said that I had. He said, "I put the shirt on without an undershirt, and it was kind of LOW. I didn't want it to be like a PEEP SHOW, so I put on an undershirt."

LIKE A PEEP SHOW.

We were going to be early to the dance, but we told Joshua that we would just wait in the car until 7. As we pulled onto the street at 6:30 p.m., I told Jim that I was sure we wouldn't be the first ones there. The FRIENDS are always so excited to see each other.

Sure 'nuff, we got in sight of the TR center, and saw car lights. It made me smile. We pulled into the parking lot to wait. Jenni was in the car next to ours, along with two other FRIENDS. All of a sudden, we saw three FRIENDS get out of another car and walk up to the door. I thought it would probably be locked until 7.

NOPE!

They walked right in. When Jenni and her group saw that, she about busted through her car door to get out!

We made Joshua wait until 6:45, and then I walked him in. Several FRIENDS were already there. Jim and I left to go have dinner by ourselves!

When we picked up Joshua at 9, he said that he'd had a GREAT time! He said that he danced with lots of the FRIENDS. He said that he danced with Jenni quite a bit, and "made up for the Tim Tebow dance," when they only got to dance alone together once (they danced a lot in groups of people at the TT dance).

They had a box of "props" for pictures at the dance. He told me that, at one point, he took off his glasses, put on a cowboy hat...and "got Western with it."

He said, "I broke it down...all the way down."

"The LORD your God is with you. He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love. And He will rejoice over you in song." Zephaniah 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment