Sunday, March 1, 2015

Little Rock Marathon 2015! (Part 1)

We'd been anticipating this day for a WHILE. It was the Little Rock Marathon. Jim, Morgan-the-daughter-in-law, and Faith, Clark's girlfriend, have been training for the HALF since October. It was the first Half-Marathon for each of them.

We had to get up at dark thirty, in order for everyone to be ready to leave at 6:15. Jim actually got up at 4:30, and couldn't go back to sleep. I must remember to thank him for that.

Also, it was 33 degrees.

Also, it was raining.

The main thing I was worried about, as a spectator, was Joshua. Cold weather is not his friend. Rain is not his friend. And navigating him through crowded streets in the cold, rain...in a bunch of layers...wearing boots...could be very tricky.

And if Joshua is miserable, it will not be good for him...or any of us.

So I told him that I wanted him to wear long underwear pants, and a long underwear shirt. He just looked at me with this certain face he uses that means, "what?" and "are you kidding me?" and "that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard" and "I am slow-blinking you right now." Kind of a face like Garfield the cat would make. Kind of like the emoji face with the straight line eyes and the straight line smile.

Speaking of underwear...SIDE NOTE: someone looked for my blog by using the words: "joshua tay underwear blog." WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE? This is not an underwear blog. I have barely even talked about underwear on here, except for the time when my boys left underwear on the kitchen table.

Oh, and the time my mother-in-law told me she went to Wal-Mart for 4 things: a new phone, panties, rat poison...and cookies.

Anyway, back to my story...I told  that I wanted him to wear a shirt over the long underwear top, and jeans over the bottoms. And I gave him a pair of ski socks to wear with his MUCK boots. I told him I wanted him to bring his BIG coat, a scarf, a hat, and gloves. I got the look again.

Joshua hates layers.

I told him that if he wanted to bring some different shoes, and his other coat...when the race was over and we got to the car, he could take the layers off and change shoes. He seemed good with that.

I was really proud of him. It wasn't a comfortable day for him at all...but he did GREAT and kept a pretty good attitude! We walked a LOT, and he was cold a LOT.

I just decided that I will write more about the race tomorrow, because I am soooooo tired (and I didn't even RUN!)...and I got so cold and I just can't get warm!

"Therefore since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us..." Hebrews 12:1

No comments:

Post a Comment