Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sunday and the Church Directory

In keeping with the wild weekend we've had so far, I'm happy to report that I am home alone and watching Tarzan on TV.

The animated version.

"You'll be my hearrrrrrrt....no matter WHAT they say. You'll be here in my heart...always"

So this morning, I saw a reminder on Facebook that it was the last day to have pictures made for our church's directory. EEEK! But I told Jim and the boys...and we hustled around and got there in record time.

There was a long table with several women who had lap-tops and that's where we checked in. She asked our names and birthdays and address...stuff like that. And it was taking a LONG TIME and I had to get to choir. Finally she said that she was having problems of some sort and passed me off to the girl next to her.

She took our names and birthdays and address...again. And then she asked about Holly. I told them she was married, and that she and her husband went to our church as well. She asked about Logan. I told her he was married as well, and he and his wife live in another town, and are members of their own church.

And that's when she said it...a statement said so nonchalantly, but it almost brought me to tears: "let's see...I'm gonna have to remove them from your 'family,' and put them each in their own families."

And that's how Marty died.

Because REMOVE THEM FROM MY FAMILY? Oh, no ma'am.

Girlfriend wasn't trying to be mean or anything. She was just saying that, they're married, they have their own family, and let's just take a picture of the 4 of you who are here.

Listen, I know they have their own families now, I KNOW. And I know that Logan and Morgan aren't even members of our church, I KNOW.

The nice church-lady? She can take them out of the computer, out of the "records" of US...but she can't ever remove them from our family. Don't even try, sister.

I know I said I died, but I had to come back to life, because if you needed more proof that God has a sense of humor, my husband...whom I love...whom I've been married to for a hundred years...when the church lady said that she was going to remove Holly and Logan from our family...when I was trying not to cry...Jim was behind me yelling, "HAR-HAR-HAR...I've been trying to do that FOR YEARS!

Marty was not amused.

All Scripture is God breathed and inspired by God, but I just can't help but wonder if moms like me might have been the thought behind this verse in Genesis 2:24: "This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one."

But I posted it about it on Facebook, just trying to be funny (you know I am all about the humorous), and my sweet friends all rallied to my defense...and I think some of them were ready to form a posse and go looking for the church lady but SHE WAS JUST DOING HER JOB and I WAS JUST TRYING TO BE FUNNY.

But my friends, they're all MOMS LIKE ME. They know that our children are knit to our hearts just like we are knit to the heart of God.

Life goes on. If you have children...and one day they marry and have children, they will be their own family. The way God meant it to be.

And one day, it will just be you and your husband in your church directory picture.

When that time comes, remember this day. I tried to warn you.

"My sheep hear My voice, and i know them, and they follow Me...My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand." John 10:27, 29

No comments:

Post a Comment