Sunday, July 27, 2014

More Birthday Blessings

So, yesterday, I had a great day. Really. I "hanged around" (Joshua's words) my house and it was very relaxing. I talked to people on the phone and on Facebook.

Last year, we were in Texas on my birthday...for my niece's wedding. Remember how I got left by my husband when he screeched down the street...he assumed I was in one of the other cars? And how my sister surprised me with the most fabulous birthday cake and how I forgot it there and thought about it every day for a solid 2 weeks after we got back home. That was a wonderful birthday.

I have a "no presents" policy when it comes to my kids giving me gifts. Oh, when they were little and made things for Mother's Day in their Sunday School or Mother's Day Out classes...I was all about that. But now, there's just really nothing that I need...other than their undying love and affection...and their promise to make me the center of their lives forever.

I'M KIDDING.

(kinda-sorta)

But I knew Clark and Faith had gotten me something, because Clark texted me from work on Friday and said...AND I QUOTE: "A package will come from UPS today. Do not answer the door. Do not touch the box. Do not read where the box came from. Just leave it." So I did.

And I figured Holly and Aaron would give me something, because that's just her personality. About mid-morning, Joshua was milling around. I could tell he was out-of-sorts. I finally figured it out. He didn't have a present for me, and he was worried about it. And, you know, I did not care one bit. But HE did.

I typically try to take him shopping when Jim or the kids have a birthday...or for Christmas, Father's Day, etc. Because I know that no one cares about getting a gift from him, but Joshua cares about GIVING a gift. Jim just doesn't think to do stuff like that.

So, right before lunch-time, Clark said he was going to take Joshua to the gym. I said, "will you PLEASE take him by a store, and let him buy me 2 or 3  of those cloth pony-tail holders?" Because, honestly, that is the one thing I have really been wanting. The ones I have now are stretched beyond recognition, and the colors have all faded. I wear my hair in a pony-tail at some point in every day.

Every.single.day.

When they got back from the gym, Faith was with them...and they gave me gifts and it was really sweet. Clark and Faith got me a pair of TOMS that are going to be SO CUTE this Fall. And Faith got me a scarf. Joshua gave me a small box that had about 4 of those pony-tail things in there...and he was so proud! Faith also brought in some cookies from my favorite cookie shop in town. YUM.

I told Joshua that we were going to meet Logan and Morgan at the Mexican restaurant, and he just started to grin...because this is a place we are very familiar with. Back when we lived in this town, we went to this Mexican restaurant with our friends every Sunday night after church...for, like, 15 years. We have been there on birthdays. We took Joshua there on one of his birthdays. The servers will come around you and make you wear a sombrero...and they will sing. And they put a spoon-full of whipped cream on your nose.

What in the WORLD?

I had forgotten about all of that until Joshua said, "when we eat there, you're gonna have to wear that 'umbrero.'" I said, "I am NOT wearing that nasty 'umbrero.' No way, no how." And he just laughed.

We all got ready and headed to dinner. I had talked to Jenni's mom earlier, and Jenni (Joshua's girlfriend) was free...so we picked her up on the way. Holly and Aaron had gone on ahead of us because they wanted to visit his parents for a few minutes. We got there and were seated, and Logan and Morgan came in. It was SO AWESOME to see them. As proud as I am that they are making their own life and have their own home and are involved in and putting roots down in their church home...we miss them terribly.

And then there was eating...and everyone talking at once...and lots of laughing. And there were more gifts. Holly and Aaron got me a pair of coral colored earrings, and those babies went in my ears RIGHT THEN. And Holly had gotten me a scarf that was very similar to the one Faith had gotten, further proof that they have more in common than they think! Logan and Morgan gave me a coral necklace...SERIOUSLY! It's so cute! And a candle and a bracelet.

Now the bracelet is a thin, leather strap. A small box of gold letters/symbols came with it...and you can spell out anything you want on the bracelet, and change it out anytime. It is so cool. Morgan said that boutiques like Riffraff (a little shop in Arkansas) are carrying them, so she thought I would enjoy it. Logan said, "let me fix it for you, Mom," and he immediately ripped open the box of letters and went to work. When he was done, he asked for my arm and strapped the bracelet on. He had fixed it to read "I (heart) Logan." He had used a little gold heart instead of spelling out the word.

Well.

Holly went NUTS with her fake righteous indignation...because she is always joking that Logan is the Golden Child, WHICH HE IS NOT. And we all had a good laugh out of it. I played along and said I might never change the bracelet and keep it that way forever. To which Holly replied, "of course you will."

And then I heard it...the singing. All the servers were behind me. And you know how you buy your kids cell phones so they can reach you in an emergency, and so you can reach them anytime you want...and then before too long, you call and get NO RESPONSE...and when you ask them about it, their excuse reason is, "I didn't have my phone on me," or "my phone was on silent?"

Well, get yourself into a potentially embarrassing situation that involves Mexican servers singing a birthday song in Spanish and putting whipped cream on your nose, and let me tell you...phones are whipped out at the speed of light.

My kids though it was all hysterical, and we laughed and laughed and laughed. And it was recorded, and posted on my Facebook.

I love my family. Who knew that those 4 rat-finks, who for years have made me about jump out of my skin, question everything I ever knew about myself, parenting and LIFE...and make me fall to my knees more times than I can count...could bring Jim and I so much joy? We sure don't deserve it. So thankful to live another year!

It was the best birthday I can remember. :)

"Let your mother and father have joy, and let her who gave birth to you rejoice." Proverbs 23:25

No comments:

Post a Comment