Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My Birthday

In the middle of all the wedding chaos...was my birthday, and I really wasn't wanting to celebrate.

Honestly, being with my family was so wonderful, and I wanted the weekend to be all about Amy, Andrew and the wedding.

When you have a great family, but you don't live close to them...every time you get together is precious. That's how I feel anyway. I had a blast getting to be with everyone. Even tho we were working hard, and we were hot, sweaty and irritable (at times), we laughed our heads off and just enjoyed being together.

When we got back to Leanne's on Friday night, we were all exhausted. I mean, beyond exhausted. My sister ordered Babe's Chicken for all of us...Babe's is seriously the best stuff EVER. Most of the family had left the church and come home, but I stayed back with my sister doing a few extra things. Macy and Holly went to pick up the food and had it all set up by the time we got there.

I was so tired I could barely eat. I knew that my son-in-law was on his way there. He was going to be the last one to arrive. Holly said he should get in by 11 p.m. I wanted to stay up, I really did, but I was just so tired and had another FULL day ahead of me with the wedding happening in just a few hours.

I thought about going back to take a shower. I was hot, sweaty and yucky. I wondered if my family would think it was rude if I went ahead and got ready for bed. But when I got back to the bedroom, I remembered that I needed a fresh pair of socks to wear on the ride home on Sunday, so I gathered up a small load of clothes to wash. On my way back through the kitchen, I remembered that we needed to load the frig with water bottles so that we'd have cold water the next day.

That's where I was, bent over in the pantry with a partial carton of water bottles in my hand when I heard a commotion behind me and looked up. My niece and nephew were coming in the door holding a birthday cake and everyone yelled "surprise!"

And I was. Totally!

And then I was so glad I hadn't put on my jammies!

We all ate cake and it was WONDERFUL! My kids were thrilled they had kept it all secret!

I have the best family EVER!

I had the best day!

"Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good..." 1 Chronicles 16:34

No comments:

Post a Comment