Thursday, August 15, 2013

Moving Back to College

My heart is sad.

My son...my college bowie...is moving back to college today.

I know...in the big scheme of life, it's just a little Mommy Growing Pain.

I should be used to it, being that it's his 4th time to do this. But it never gets easier.

I'm going to miss him being here...playing basketball in the pool after work, being loud with everything he does, aggravating and hanging out with his sister...and his brothers.

Joshua, especially, will miss him so much.

I'm one of those moms who likes having all the chicks in the nest. I LOVE it when they are all home at the same time, and it's loud and wild and crazy. Each one of our kids is different and each one brings their own gifts and strengths into our family.

So today, he leaves...and he takes a little bit of the air out of our home as he goes. Not forever, just until we all adjust to him being gone.

And don't get me wrong...I would never want to take this opportunity away from him. He has done so well in college, and not just academically. He's made friends, and formed bonds with many people in the 3 years he's been there. He has really grown up into a fine young man. He and Morgan are actively involved in their church there...they both can't wait to get back.

I guess just knowing that this is his last summer "home" makes it a little more significant to my heart, now that it's time for him to move back. Next summer, Lord willing, he will become a married man...and embark on new adventures as he and Morgan become their own family.

For now, they will start their senior year of college...and I could not be more proud of them.

So, I've washed and dried. I've folded. I've searched and found and put into boxes. I've bought supplies and groceries and gift-cards to get them through the first few days. I've talked with him as I've walked and worked and cooked and packed...trying to give him that last bit of encouragement and instruction before he goes. He's packed and ready...and we're about to head that way.

So...the tears are right there...but I am doing my best to hold them back.

Because it's about that time...

"Cast your burden on the LORD, and He will sustain you..." Psalm 55:22


No comments:

Post a Comment