Saturday, August 10, 2013

California Trip-Day 4 (San Diego-Zoo, Seaport, Hotel del Coronado)

You know what's annoying? Reading long, boring blog posts day after day about other people's vacations. Especially if you don't know them. I'm just sayin'. If you feel this way, skip this post. No offense. My blog is mainly to keep up with stuff for my family. 

We spent the last day of our vacation in San Diego. Aunt Leanne drove us down there and the drive was really nice. We went straight to the zoo.

Now, I've been to some zoos in my life. I have 4 kids after all.

But NOTHING is like the San Diego Zoo!

The first thing we did was ride the bus around the inside of the park.

Because Leanne said.

And she was right! We rode on the top level of a double-decker bus. It went all around the zoo, and the driver was very knowledgeable in pointing out animals along the way and giving us helpful information. It really helped speed things up for us later, because we didn't have to go back to visit those areas that didn't appeal to us, like the snakes...or the birds...or even the koalas. Originally, I really wanted to go see the koala bears. I was excited about it. But our bus drove by their area, and there were about 6 koala bears and they were all up in a tree. Like, 6 bears up in 6 different trees. SOUND ASLEEP.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

So after the bus tour, we plotted out our course and took off walking. The San Diego Zoo has different levels, and you get to them by using those moving walkways. Thank goodness, because walking straight uphill? To see a gorilla? No thank YOU.

The animals that we did see were very active. We got to see the zebras RUNNING around their area...and we LOVED seeing the pandas.

After we left there, we headed to Seaport and walked along the boardwalk looking at all the boats and ships. There was a huge aircraft carrier there, and tons of other military boats. There were lots of fancy yachts...and lots and LOTS of sailboats. It was so pretty!

I think now would be a good time to rave about the weather in Southern California. What the heck? It was so awesome! I could live there forever if it wasn't...well...California.

(no offense...I just love Arkansas)

After Seaport, we headed to Coronado Island and Hotel del Coranado. It was beautiful there. I've seen pictures of this hotel and I knew that movies had been shot there, but really...it was breath-taking. It was almost like going back in time, because I could just see John F. Kennedy hanging out there.

Now, I have no clue if John F. Kennedy ever went there...I'm just being like Mammaw Jack and making up a story in my head about how it LOOKED like a place they would hang out.

After walking on the beach and taking pictures, we sat and had dinner on the Sun Deck Grill at the Hotel del Coronado...and watched the sun set. There were a couple of guys playing live music and families were everywhere. Many of the dining areas on this deck had fire-pits in the middle of them, so you could lounge and eat (two of my most favorite things)...and still stay warm after the sun went down. It was gorgeous. So peaceful.

I was really glad to have this time away with my sister, and my daughter. Leanne is very travel savvy, so I am always glad for Holly to get to travel with her...so that she can learn from the master how to plan and how to pack and what to do when things happen and plans change and all of that.

By the time we headed back to Anaheim, it was dark...my heart was full. This was SUCH a fun trip!

"When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and stars, which You have ordained...what is man, that You are mindful of him...?" Psalm 8:3

No comments:

Post a Comment