Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Par-tay With the New Kids

On Sunday night, I put on my big-girl panties.

Jim and I have been attending a new Sunday School class for the past few weeks. It is much larger than the class we attended for a year. We didn't plan on switching classes. It's just that when our church moved to our new building, the times and classes were all changed up. In order for us to be in worship with Joshua, which is important to us, we had to find another small group.

So, we went from a class of about 6-7 people...to a class of about 25.

Tonight was the first class party that we've been able to attend. Not gonna lie...I was pretty nervous.

I never really put a label on the way I am. I'm not out-going, but I have never considered myself to be shy. When I know people and am comfortable around them, I really loosen up. I like to keep people laughing with all of my stories.

But, I've figured out something about myself here in the last few years, and I owe it all to Sophie Hudson...a woman I've never met. I started reading her blog a couple of years ago, and it is so fun. Her first book, "A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet," was so, so, so good! I highly recommend it! And, I can't wait for her next book to come out!

Anyway, she was talking about her personality one day, and I thought, "that is me." Like, how crowds can be a little overwhelming and how she feels like she communicates better through her writing and how, after being with a lot of people, she wants nothing more than to hole up in her house for a few days.

I get that.

I believe God made us all intricately, and with intention and purpose...and He can use every willing person to accomplish His will...and to bring Him glory.

So, tonight, I sucked it up big time, and went to the small group party with a smile on my face. It was uncomfortable, awkward at times...and FUN! There were 44 people there! I met quite a few women. We talked about our families and things like that. Jim said that, at his GUY table, they talked politics. EEEK! He said he didn't say anything, unless it was for comic relief. He said, "that's what I was there for."

Ummm...NO.

I hate to tell him, but there's only one funny person in our marriage...and it ain't him!

Just sayin'.

So thankful for the body of Christ. I'm choosing to be thankful for this place God has planted us. I'm praying our hearts will be open...and that our roots will run deep.

"Above all, put on love...which is the perfect bond of unity." Colossians 3:14

No comments:

Post a Comment