Sunday, July 13, 2014

Joshua, Lately

I love Joshua. He brings so much joy and life to our family. Over the past several years, he has turned into our very own Jay Leno...and he doesn't even know it.

Most of the time.

Like the time we were standing in the line at our local Wal-Marks...you know, where they put out all of the magazines you don't want your kids to read? Joshua used to turn every one of them over, so that the back was facing the front...and I let him. Because REALLY.

But the other day, as we were standing in line, he looked over at the magazines. On the cover of one of them was Lupito Nyong'o. She had just won an Academy Award for her role in the movie, "12 Years a Slave."

Joshua looked her picture and goes, "hey...OPRAH."

I laughed for 30 minutes.

And like how some of the stuff in my photo-prop box must've gotten mixed up with someone else's stuff. I'm PRETTY SURE I would never buy anything that says, "Hottie Police" on it. Joshua saw that hat, and put it on for our family picture in the pool, and there was no getting it off his head.

Because, like he said, "I LIKE the police."

And like how he told me one day that he was somewhere in the middle of not being nice and not being encouraging and not being supportive with Jenni. Yeah...in the middle.

And like how he asked me so very seriously one day, if I thought Jake (our old, dead dog) was "getting on God's nerves yet."

And like how he does math.

Joshua is also very honest, and sometimes that is very funny. Like the time we were headed to Therapeutic Recreation. I had planned on having lunch with a friend, so I was wearing a long-sleeved denim shirt...I thought it might be cold in the restaurant.

Joshua said, "Uhhhh...kinda HOT for long-sleeves."
Me: "You think so?"
Joshua: "You might have to take that shirt off."
Me: "Well, I hope not, because I am wearing a tank-top under it."
Joshua: "Yeesh. I don't really want to see that much of you."

WHAT? 

Like the time he told his girlfriend, Jenni: "don't worry, Jenni...your beauty is only skin deep."

And like he told me all of the FRIENDS in his cabin at camp were all, "a bunch of weirdos."

Joshua is also a HUGE Boy Meets World fan, so he has been anxiously awaiting the new GIRL Meets World. Told us the other day that he watched the first episode.

His insight? "Cory got a nose job. If you ask me, he should'a kept his regular nose."

Joshua is also very literal. As we were driving in town the other day, we saw a dead raccoon in the middle of the road. Joshua saw it, too. I joked, "he won't try that again," expecting to get a laugh.

Instead he said, "well...no. Not HIM, anyway...because...he's DEAD."

"I will be filled with joy because of You..." Psalm 9:2

No comments:

Post a Comment