Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Weekend Update: Piddlin' in the Pool

We had such a nice weekend. Kind of low-key and relaxing (but we apparently went through a TON of laundry!)

We have been spending a lot of time in Jim's pool. I call it "Jim's pool" because HE is the one who wanted a pool, not me...and HE is the one who does all.things.pool.related...not me.

And it's not a fancy pool. You know...the kind that make you feel like you are at a tropical resort. The kind that has beautiful landscaping around it or a fountain in the middle or a fun water-slide or a rock wall with water coming out of a lion's mouth. No. It's like the previous owners said, "we want a pool," and the pool people said, "okay...where do you want it?" And they said, "right in the middle of the yard."

Because it is literally plopped right in the middle of the yard.

But, not complaining. Even tho I didn't want the pool, initially, it has been a good thing. SO much fun and the kids all love it. I LOVE it when they are all here and it's loud and splish-splashy (yeah...I said it). Clark's girlfriend has been bringing her babysittin' kids out here to swim, and just hearing their squeals and laughter out there the other day, well, it made me so happy. We have also told our college pastor at our church that we would be happy to host a college get-together out here anytime.

God provided this house for our family...it's all His anyway.

So, Sunday night, at our Sunday School party, one of the ladies said that she had a pool at her house, too. And then she said, "you do the pool, right?"  To which I replied, "do what to the pool?"

Because, if she means, do I run the net around the pool and try to get out all of the leaves, water bugs, spiders, etc. that get in there. Yes, I DO do that.

(I just said do-do)

BUT, I can't forget my biggest contribution to the pool maintenance and upkeep: pool toys. I DO buy rafts, rings, goggles, etc for Jim and the kids. I'm currently looking for a couple of kick-boards, for...you know...exercise purposes. (Pbbbbbbbth!)

Clearly, I'm doing my part.

So this lady said, " no...you know, do the chemicals and stuff."

Now, I feel certain that I COULD do the pool...adding chemicals and what-not. I have 4 kids and have managed a family for the past 100 years. I've given meds and therapy and helped figure out more school projects than I can count. I've organized parties and hair-bows and I can tell which white Nike socks belong to which of our 3 boys just by looking. I have ordered clothes OFF THE INTERNET for my kids by guesstimating their sizes, and they actually fit. I can remember Social Security numbers and school ID numbers and who likes the crunchy style peanut-butter in their lunch and who only likes creamy.

Also, I would never put one of my kids on the wrong soccer team because I couldn't remember which year they were born. 

(Ahem...JIM)

Pretty sure my college degree is still up in a box in the attic.

But Jim is a Type-A+ person, and so he handles all the pool-related stuff. He wants to. He enjoys it.

You could even say that by letting him do all the pool stuff...well, it's like I'm giving him a gift.

(shuddup)

Jim is in his happy place when he's outside piddling in and around the pool.

Don't take "piddling" in the wrong way! I don't want no PIDDLIN' in the pool! Har-dee-har-har...

But then this lady started telling me about finding a WATER MOCCASIN IN HER POOL.

Ummm... I'm out.

I already don't like cleaning the skimmers, because of the critters that get stuck in there. Spiders and other creepy things are one thing. SNAKES? No thanky. Jim has already killed one "baby snake" that was in the skimmer. My new friend was telling how her niece was swimming in her pool, and the water moccasin swam right by her.

WHAT?

And, she also said that a baby bunny drowned in her pool, and she found it in her skimmer.

That would ruin my day for weeks.

"Great is our Lord and mighty in power..." Psalm 147: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment