Saturday, May 31, 2014

Rehearsal Dinner

We had a great time preparing for Logan's rehearsal dinner. We started on Thursday night when we went to the church to decorate.

Actually, it all started months ago when Logan chose a Mexican-themed menu for the dinner...and my sister, Leanne, found an "inspiration picture," and then set out to make it all happen.

Everyone knows that she is the event planner of all time. Not just for OUR family, but for friends, her kids' schools, community events.

She told me where to order these tissue-paper poms, and I ordered 44 of them...and have spent many days over the last few weeks, Holly AND I...putting those things together. I had them hung all over our house! They are so pretty, and you get a lot of bang out of them for not a lot of money.

Leanne ordered the linens for the tables and they were just perfect! Multi-colored table-cloths and napkins. She found these striped runners that look like the shawls you see the Mariachi band people wear...and we draped one over each table. She ordered lanterns, and even had to paint some of them to get the colors just right. She put a battery operated candle inside of each lantern...and she sent batteries. She just thought of everything we might need. And she had flowers sent to my house two days ago, so we could get them in water.

One of the coolest things that everyone talked about were the banners. She ordered these tissue paper banners from a shop on Etsy and they were soooo cute! They are big and rectangular shaped...and colorful...and they have designs cut out of them. They were the neatest things I've ever seen, and people went on and on about them. We hung them from the ceiling. Leanne had even sent ceiling clips, which are pretty much one of the greatest inventions ever. One set of the banners had designs on them, like hearts and love-birds and the word "AMOR," but the other set had Logan and Morgan's name, and their wedding date, cut out of them.

I DIED.

Everyone could not quit talking about them. I posted some pictures on my Facebook here, and my Instagram account: martythemoose.

We had a great rehearsal. Of course, for me the best part is seeing my family...since we don't get together that often. I miss them so much. And the kids...well, you can't really call them "KIDS" anymore...most of them are so grown up!

It wasn't all fun and games, because I did make two people cry...not including myself. Leanne worked so hard to plan all of this for Logan and Morgan, and then had a schedule change at her youngest daughter's school that required her to stay in Texas until 2 or 2:30. And then they were going to beat it here to Arkansas. She asked me to stall the rehearsal, but that wasn't necessary...it took a while. Doesn't it always take longer than you think?

Anyway, it got over and we went down to eat and she still wasn't there. I was asking her son and one of her daughters if they had heard from her, and they hadn't. I was trying to visit with everyone and tell them how much I appreciated them coming. I sat down to talk with Morgan's grandmother, Mabel, because I knew that HER 94 year old mother had a stroke last week, and had just been put on hospice care. When I asked about her mom, she began to cry and said that no one had asked her about it tonight, and she appreciated it so much. And then I started crying...and then Holly came over and sat down. I told Mabel that Holly had had a patient in the hospital that was put on comfort care, and how emotional her day had been...and we all sat there and cried.

And when I looked up, people were clearing their plates and the next thing I knew...my entire family was in clean-up mode.

And Leanne still wasn't there.

She got there a minute after the take-down started, and I could see the disappointment on her face. I mean, she's had a stressful week, she's worked hard on planning this event for Logan, she raced to get there on time...and she missed it. Of course, after everyone set down and started eating...and when they got done...it wasn't pretty like it was when we started, because the chairs were moved all over the place and there were yucky plates and balled up napkins and half-empty glasses of tea...BUT STILL.

Everyone was just trying to help...but there's just no fixing a broken heart.

And that's how I made 2 people cry at Logan's reception...not including me.

BUT, her work was noticed and appreciated by everyone...Logan and Morgan were especially impressed and thankful. Everyone said it was "just perfect," but I already knew that. Leanne doesn't do anything half-way, and we are thankful that she honored L/M in this way. It really made them feel special.

Now...the wedding!

"A joyful heart makes a face cheerful, but a broken heart crushes the spirit." Proverbs 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment