Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Road-Trippin'

This Memorial Day, Jim and I took a little road-trip together. We left ALL the kids at home, and headed 2 hours and 40 minutes away...to meet up with my sister, Leanne, in Texarkana.

Leanne is practically single-handedly helping me decorate the room for Logan's rehearsal dinner. By "helping," I mean she has planned all of it and paid for most of it.

She's amazing and so creative.

Leanne was planning to come on Thursday to help me decorate and set up for the rehearsal dinner on Friday. Due to a last minute scheduling conflict, now she can't come until Friday...and she may miss the rehearsal and part of the dinner.

Eeek!

So, Jim and I met her at Chick-Fil-A in Texarkana and had a quick lunch. We unloaded everything from Leanne's Burb into our Burb...and then were on our way back home.

We had a great trip. It's just that, when you travel with Jim, you have to listen to his music. It's "Driver's Choice" in our family. Jim hooked up his iPOD and we took a step or three back in time to the 1970's...Simon and Garfunkel, Crosby, Stills and Nash...and the Bee Gees.

Seriously..."how deep is YOUR love?"

"We belong to you and me."

What does that even mean?

We got home and the kids were all in the pool. Holly and Aaron were here, and Mr. I'm-not-getting-in-the-pool-until-the-2nd-week-of-June Joshua was right in the big middle of it all, playing pool basketball with Aaron.

Yeah. That happened.

It was so great to see them all having fun together. I hear a lot about families who don't enjoy being together, and I am very thankful that ours does.

Jim took a lonng nap after we got home. He deserved it because he drove the entire way to Texarkana and back. I had stuff to do, but decided to get in the pool with the kids for a while. And then Joshua and I went to the store and bought a ton of stuff...and Jim grilled burgers for all of us.

It was a fun day. And, yes, I'm fully aware that Memorial Day is not about swimming, grilling and throwing the football around in the yard. I'm from a 4th generation military family. My grandfather, father and brother all served in the military, and I have two nephews who are currently serving our country. I lived the military life. I know the sacrifices that have been made on my behalf.

So very thankful for the women and men who fought and served and died for my freedom.

All gave some...some gave all.

"...where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom..." 2 Corinthians 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment