Monday, June 20, 2016

Joshua: He Calls Him Rhodie

So, not too long after Holly and Aaron found out they were having a BOY...they called us all together to announce his name. Holly had already told me that they would not be using any "family" names. She was afraid that if they used a name from our side of the family...Aaron-the-son-in-law's family would get their feelings hurt. I told her they should name him whatever they want...and then, whatever name they chose would instantly become a "family" name.

They told us his name would be Rhodes Everett.

They wanted to know if we liked it. I told her we did! She said, "good, because we love it, and that's all that matters!"

Joshua never said a word. Holly said, "maybe he doesn't like it."

I said, "he probably didn't hear you."

So Holly sat by Joshua, and asked him, "did you hear the baby's name?"
Joshua said, "yes."
She asked, "what do you think about it?"
Joshua: "pretty nice."
Holly: "what did I say was his name?"
Joshua: "ROSE."

We all cracked up.

Holly said, "no, Joshua...it's RHODES. Can you say RHODES?"
Joshua: "ROSE."

I said, "maybe if you write it down for him, and he can see how it's spelled...it will make more sense to him," so she did. He looked at it for a long time, and then he said, "OH...like Rhode Island?"

We all yelled, "YES! LIKE RHODE ISLAND!"

Holly said, "Only instead of saying RHODE...you say, RHODES."

[blink...blink]

She said, "what's another name for a street?" He said, "uhh...ROAD?" She said, "Yes! Now what if there are TWO roads...what do you say?"

He said, "ROSE."

Thank you, Holly and Aaron. Of allllll the names in the world, you picked the ONE NAME Joshua can't pronounce.

Holly said, "Well, you can call him, Rhodie, if you want...Aaron sometimes calls him, Rhodie. Can you say that?"

Joshua grinned, and said: "RHODIE."

So...that's what Joshua is calling him, and I think it's precious.

Except that when he writes it on Facebook...he writes, "ROADIE." Which is still precious.

"I asked the Lord to give me this boy, and He has granted my request. Now I am giving him to the Lord, and he will belong to the Lord his whole life.” 1 Samuel 1: 27-28

No comments:

Post a Comment