Friday, June 10, 2016

He Controls Our Days

Holly had her doctor's appointment yesterday. She has been going every week, and every week the baby is good...but her body is not showing any signs that delivery is coming soon.

But she was optimistic yesterday, because you can tell by looking that the baby has "dropped."  She's also been having lots of contractions.

I told her I would drive her into Little Rock for her appointment, if if it would help her out. I mean, Clark is at work, and Joshua is at camp...what else do I have to do, right? Hahahahaha!

So, I picked her up at her house, and off we went. We got to the doctor a few minutes early. I dropped her at the door. Aaron-the-son-in-law was going to meet her there. She said that he would not be able to go to lunch with her, so I decided to just park there at the hospital. and wait in my car for her to be done. Last week, when I drove her to her appointment, I ran an errand real quick, and she was done before I was...and I had to hurry back.

I got parked, and decided to check messages before diving into my new book.

What book, you ask?

WELL.

It's Sophie Hudson's new book, "Giddy-Up, Eunice!" I am so excited to read it.

I went to my Lifeway store to pick up the book on Tuesday. I hadn't pre-ordered it, so Tuesday was the first day it was going to be released in the stores! I just had a minute to run in, before I had to be somewhere.

Now, I know my way around my Lifeway store. I was confident I could find the book, if it was there. So, even tho 3 different Lifeway employees asked if they could help me, I declined. I got this. I rushed in and headed to the proper section. The book wasn't there. I headed to another possible section...wasn't there. I looked under all the "H" authors in ALL of the book sections in the store...TWICE. It wasn't there.

At this point, I was running out of time, so I did the walk of shame up to the register. The nice man asked me again, "may I help you?" And I said, "yes." I told him that I was looking for a book by Sophie Hudson. At first, he couldn't find any books by her in the store...and I KNEW that couldn't be right. I had bought her other two books there back when they came out. Those two books are awesome, by the way. HIGHLY recommend reading them...so sweet and honest and funny.

But then he confessed that he had spelled her name, S-O-F-I-E.

Bless.

All of a sudden he goes, "OH! It's right here! It's a new release, right?" Yes, yes it is.

They had it set up in it's own little section, right up front. In my defense, it was set up more toward the Bible Study/VBS supplies section...and not the book section.

I bought 4 copies!

I never got to crack open the book, because Holly called to say she was done! Poor Aaron missed the appointment completely, because they had called her back early.

She said that everything was still looking good with the baby...which is what we want. But the doctor kind of got Holly's hopes up that she would have the baby by next week. Holly said her doctor asked, "well, how would you feel about having a baby next week...say Wednesday or Thursday?" Holly's heart started racing. She said, "sure!"

The doctor sat down at her computer, and studied Holly's records. She said, "hmmm...I see that your original due date was about a week later than what we are going by now. PLEASE DON'T KILL ME, but I think we need to wait a little longer, and try to let him come on his own."

Which is what we all want...and what we are hoping and PRAYING will happen.

But you know how you feel when you get really excited about something, and, in the next instant...your hopes and plans are dashed?

(sigh)

I texted Jim to let him know the update, and he said, "Oh, well...maybe lunch will help."

HELP WHAT?

MEN. They don't know women at all.

But then lunch really did help! :)

We are thankful for medical care. We are thankful for the close attention of her doctor. We are thankful that the baby is growing, and that he is safe and cozy in Holly's tummy. We are thankful for the knowledge that GOD controls our days. He knows when we will be born, and when we will die.

We are thankful for a God who comforts, sustains, and strengthens us in our times of weakness and uncertainty.

Oh, baby boy...when will you be born?

Whenever that is, we know that God has planned for and prepared that day.

"You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed." Psalm 139:16

No comments:

Post a Comment