Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Camp Barnabas 2016: The Drop-Off

So, about Sunday.

We left our home at 10 a.m., to take Joshua up to Camp Barnabas in Missouri. It's about a 4 hour drive from here...a little less...but it ended up being 5 hours on the way up, because we stopped twice. But, before we had even gotten out-of-town, I happened to glance over my shoulder, and Joshua's head was RIGHT THERE.

Granted, he's hard-of-hearing. And, granted, it's harder to hear in the backseat. But, good heavens...SIT BACK.

So, I asked him if he wanted to watch a movie, and he said, "uhhh...maybe," and began to rummage around in his stuff. He passed a disc up to Clark, put his headphones on...and was a happy camper until we stopped for lunch.

He watched a Power Rangers movie. I don't know if it was really long, or if Joshua kept stopping and rewinding it at certain parts...but it pretty much lasted the whole trip.

Once we got to camp, they routed us through this huge field...which is something they haven't done in a WHILE. I kept the windows closed and the air on, because the field was full of those tall grassy weeds or whatever they are...and because ALLERGIES.

I happened to look back at Joshua, and he was sitting up in his seat like a bird...and he had put on his jacket. His gray, sweatpant-y jacket. And it was 80 degrees outside. I said, "Joshua, why don't you take off your jacket, and put it in your backpack? That way you don't have to carry it. It's hot out today."

Joshua said, "I don't want the bees to attack me because of this yellow shirt."

WHAT?

He said, "the bees might see my shirt, and think it's a flower...and attack me." I said, "I think you'll be okay." As he took off his jacket, he mumbled, "I don't know if there ARE bees in Missouri, maybe not, but I don't want to get STANG."

While we were in line, before the gate opened, I was keeping my eyes out for Jenni. Jenni is Joshua's girlfriend of 11-12 years. She goes to Camp Barnabas the same time as Joshua. I finally saw them drive by...they were way, WAYYYY behind us. BUT, when we got into the big field...the way they were having us go was kind of in a big loop, so I started looking for them again.

I FOUND THEM! They were right across the field from us. I could see Jenni in the window. I unrolled Joshua's window. I said, "there's Jenni! Wave at her!" Joshua shot his hand up for a millisecond, and then rolled his window up himself. Or, as they say around her, HIS OWN SELF.

How ROO.

Joshua and Jenni have an interesting relationship. They don't act like other "typical" couples. They will go to a gathering where they both are present, like on their Therapeutic Recreation days...and they might not even talk the whole time. But then they will walk out together and be all sweet...and then talk for an hour on the phone, once they get home.

But still...WAVE.AT.HER.JOSHUA.

About that time, Jenni's mom texted me to see where we were. I replied, "look across the field...we've been waving!"

Well, Jenni goes nuts waving when she sees us, and Joshua gives her a super cool "hey" type of wave...and tries to roll his window up again. But this ain't momma's first rodeo...and Momma has the "window lock" button on her side...and that little maneuver kind of freaked him out.

THAAAAAAAAT's right. You are not in control around here, son.

And then Clark made the mistake of saying, "hey, look! Jenni is wearing the same color shirt as you!" And Joshua said, "I'm putting my jacket back on."

Seriously?

See what I mean?

I said, "DO NOT PUT THAT JACKET BACK ON. IT IS 80 DEGREES OUTSIDE. You will burn up."

We could hear him muttering in the seat behind us. And, as he dramatically stuffed his jacket into his backpack, he mumbled, "I'm gonna look like the HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME with this jacket in my backpack."

And Clark and I LOST IT.

LOST.IT.

Because you just never know what goes through Joshua's mind, or what is going to come out of his mouth.

I can't even remember the last time we watched that movie. Maybe 15 years ago?

And then, as our car was winding through the field, getting closer and closer to the gate, Joshua asked, "uhhh hey, Clark, how do you say GATE in Chinese? La-GATE-o?"

And with that mic drop...I'm out.

"Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person." Colossians 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment