Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Toltec Mounds, De-Hairing Joshua's Back & Senior Proofs

Yesterday was a good day...because it was Monday and we had no plans. Joshua LOVES Mondays. He loves "sleeping in" (until 6:30) (not kidding) and he loves that I usually make blueberry muffins for breakfast and he loves hanging out at home.

Altho, when I texted him mid-morning, and said, "Let's go Krogering...and to Chick-Fil-A," he was dressed and downstairs in 1 minute FLAT.

And, don't judge me for texting him from downstairs. Joshua is VERY hard-of-hearing, and it just works out better, sometimes...if I just text him what we're doing, instead of yelling upstairs to him.

Whatever works, man.

This morning, Joshua was up early to get ready for Therapeutic Recreation. He came downstairs for breakfast. He never thinks I can hear him, but I always hear him. The sound of small feet wearing Crocs...I could probably hear him from a mile away.

I heard him coming down the stairs...his unbalanced gait on the wood makes a distinctive sound. I heard him scuff down the hallway to the kitchen. But first, he walked to my bedroom door, and quietly closed it.

How sweet is that?

On our drive to Little Rock, we talked about this and that. I told him that it was about time for me to "do" his eyebrows (they get out of control without some maintenance). He said, "I'll save that for Holly."

Oooooookay. I'm sure your sister will be thrilled.

He also said, "it's about time to DE-HAIR my back."

Joshua is hairy. Not like he's a Yeti or anything. He barely has any hair on his arms and legs, but he does have a hairy man-back. He likes for it to be shaved before any Powerlifting competitions, and he has one coming up. I said, "okay, we'll take care of that in the next few days." He said, "we can save that for Holly, too."

He said, "I like my hairy back...I do. But I want to de-hair before my competition."

He asked me if I saw the post he wrote on my sister's wall. She had posted about my niece being sick. I said, "I did see it...it was very sweet. Did you pray for her today?" He said,"uhhhhh...I THINK I prayed for her last night." I said, "well, you told her you would be praying for her." He said, "I think I prayed for her in my sleep." I said, "well, you made a commitment to pray, so you need to follow through." He muttered, "I'll pray to stay awake." And then he started cracking up laughing.

He said, "I don't think God would think my joke is funny...but I do."

Joshua's group went to some Native American Indian mounds today. They took a picnic lunch, and had a great day. I was already waiting on him when they got back to the TR Center. I sat in the car and watched them get out of the vans. The way they help each other is precious. Joshua reached for Jenni, and helped her out of the van...and they BOTH reached for Blair, and helped her out. I was sitting there thinking, "if one of them goes down...they're all going down..." but it was so sweet to watch.

At one point, Joshua noticed the kickball bag had been left on the van, and he jumped back on to get it. Jenni was standing there waiting on him, when, all of a sudden, he LAUNCHES this bag out the door of the van like a torpedo. It almost hit Jenni as it sailed by. OH MY WORD. I laughed for 5 solid minutes.

It was a good day. Jim and I were able to have a lunch date, and that was fun...and then the photographer that took Clark's senior pix emailed the proofs to me, and I spent the majority of the afternoon curled up in a ball and crying my eyes out.

And singing "Sunrise, Sunset" from "Fiddler On The Roof."

Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?

I don't remember growing older
When did they?
When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he grow to be so tall?
Wasn't it yesterday
When they were small?

Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years
One season following another
Laden with happiness and tears


(sniff)

And, I did this with our 3 older kids, too...I just stared at the pictures on the screen, overwhelmed with emotion. I looked at them over and over. I just can't believe this beautiful child came from me and Jim


And now he's gonna graduate and leave us!


Waaaaaaah!


"Behold, children are a gift from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward." Psalm 127:3

No comments:

Post a Comment