Thursday, April 23, 2015

This Week at Therapeutic Recreation

So today, Joshua's Therapeutic Recreation group was planning to go on a walk at the Center...around the little pond there...and do some crafts...and then head to the gym after lunch.

It was raining on our drive into Little Rock, but the rain and the clouds didn't diminish Joshua's spirits at all. For some reason, he started talking about the Pow-Pow-Power Rangers. He knows every Ranger, every actor that plays the Ranger, all about their lives. He went on and on and on. As annoying as it was, it was also pretty impressive. Names, dates, etc.

He started talking about how there couldn't really be a true Power Ranger reunion, because "Trini," the yellow Power Ranger...Joshua calls her "Trainy..." died. Joshua said, "she died in a car accident in September of '01...I don't know what day."

WHAT?

Some how, this led to a conversation about the Twilight movies.

If there has ever been a movie series that the FRIENDS at TR love and are obsessed with...it's Twilight. The boys love it and the girls REALLY love it.

Joshua said, "Aaron (the-son-in-law) told me that Twilight wasn't a Christian movie, and it kind of hurt my feelings." I said, "well, he's right Joshua...they aren't Christian movies." Joshua said, "well, Aaron hurt my feelings." I said, "well, I'm sure he didn't mean to, but they're not Christian movies." Joshua said, "IMNOTTALKINGABOUTTHATRIGHTNOW."

Joshua said, "if I had all of the Twilight movies, I could have my own Twilight marathon up in my room."

Okay. Here's the deal. We let him watch the first movie with us...and then we let him watch the 2nd movie with us...and then he went berserk and got obsessed with the characters and the story-line. He got all broody and dark, and wanted to wear black v-necks and write stuff about pushing people away...because apparently that's what they do in the books and movies. He became obsessed with wolves. He added wolves to his stories and talked about wanting the strength of a wolf and requested a wolf calendar for Christmas.

He completely was taken over by these movies and talked about them non-stop.

We told him he couldn't watch those movies anymore.

WELL.

My mother-in-law thought we were being awful, and so she would buy him the movies and he would sneak them into the house. He has a dvd player in his room, and he would watch those movies up there, and we didn't know about it for a lonnnnng time.

When we finally figured it all out, we took the movies we didn't want him to watch...and we hid them.

He is convinced they are out in the garage. I have no idea. Since we moved here nearly 3 years ago, I don't know that I've seen them. And we do still have some boxes in the garage, so who knows?

So, when he talked about the Twilight movie marathon up in his room, I said, "no, sir...then you would get all obsessed about them again, and that was NOT a good thing."

He said, "I did not get obsessed about the first Twilight movie."

I said, "and why not?"

He looked right at me and said in his best and more exasperated Fred voice..."uhhh, no VUHVS." (wolves)

"Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on the earth." Colossians 3:2

No comments:

Post a Comment