Friday, April 24, 2015

Conference Track Meet-Clark

Today was Clark's conference track meet. I don't think I've shared on here too much about Clark's track season, but it definitely has not been what he thought it would be.

One of Clark's main reasons for not playing football this fall, was to concentrate on track. He had hoped to have an awesome senior track season. He worked really, really hard. He was lifting weights and running. He is honestly in great shape. I posted a picture of him from today on my IG, martythemoose, and on my Facebook wall.

BUT, you know, sometimes things don't happen the way we want or expect them to...and it's hard. Clark's team had some really talented sophomores that came up this year, and a super-fast junior, who transferred in from another school. And, nothing against them...they are really fast.

And they are faster than Clark.

Clark is a sprinter, so his main races are the 100 meter dash, 200 meter dash, and the 4x100 meter relay. In our former town, Clark's 4x100 relay team set a school record and his name is up on the board at the football field. But this year, as a senior, he wasn't getting to run.

It broke my heart for him.

Every day he went to practice. He worked out and ran with the team...but they went to the meets, and he didn't get to go. And he's a Senior.

But there are boys faster than him.

I have been SO PROUD of Clark...how he has handled this whole thing. I told him, "I just want you to know...all of this...how hard you're working, your diligence, your leadership on the team...it has not gone unnoticed. By your Dad and I...and by God. And, God is going to work this for your good. I don't know how...I just know that He is."

He said, "I know," and proceeded to tell us some neat things that have happened in the past month or so. How his track coach called him over and acknowledged that things aren't the way HE thought they would be, either. He praised Clark for being on time for practice and for going all-out every day...for maintaining a good attitude, and for helping the younger runners.

Clark told him he appreciated that.

I mean, I know we should all just do the right thing because it's the right thing...but sometimes, when you feel like nothing is going right, no matter how hard you try...don't you just want someone to notice? to SEE you? to acknowledge that, yes...this stinks...but it's not the end of the world.

Or, maybe that's just me.

Anyway, the Coach told Clark that he would have a spot at the conference track meet and he could run whatever he wanted. Now, before he said this, he did make them have a run-off and Clark won every time. He told Clark that he wasn't offering a spot at conference out of "charity" or anything, but that he had earned it. And that he was really sorry about how things had turned out for him this year.

Pretty nice for a gruff, ol' coach.

A coach who Clark said, this morning in the pre-meet pep-talk, told the team, AND I QUOTE: "You've been doin' it all year...you've put the hay in the barn. And now it's time for you...to go out there...and put it on the track."

WHAT?

Seriously, WHAT?

We had storms this morning, and we had rain ALL THE LIVE-LONG DAY...and it was cold and rainy, with cold and rainy rain. They had said they might reschedule the meet for tomorrow, when it's supposed to be sunny and 85 degrees, but noooooooooooooooooooooo...we had to stand out there in all that mess. And, I told Clark, I have never more seriously questioned the intelligence of the powers that be than I did at that very moment.

Clark ran the 100 meter dash and the 200 meter dash and he did GREAT in both races! He didn't win any awards, but he finished both races strong. He was really pleased, because he didn't know how he would finish the season. The only guys he's raced are his own teammates. I was thrilled for Clark. He was so happy that he did well!

And now we are done with track.

That kid...I'm telling you: run or walk; tackle, kick, pass, score; play or not; win or not; I'm so very thankful for him.

"...let us run with endurance the race that is set before us..." Hebrews 12:1

No comments:

Post a Comment