Thursday, February 13, 2014

Valentine's Week at the Center 2014

This is Valentine's week and things have been busy at the Therapeutic Recreation Center.

Joshua went on Tuesday, and they spent their time working on decorations. That means cutting, gluing, painting, hanging up, moving things around...getting stuff ready, because there's gonna be a BIG BALL on Friday night!

Last year's Valentine Ball was SO MUCH FUN! This year, the theme is a sock-hop. Joshua said, "I'm gonna wear jeans, my black v-neck and my black leather jacket...and I will spike up my hair."

So, basically, this is how he dresses every day.

He also said, "I will NOT roll up my jeans."

Oooooookay.

On Wednesday, Joshua's group was staying at the TR Center and working on more decorations. I decided this was a day that he could miss, and he was fine with it. He and I spent the day together working on stuff at home and going to the store. I made peanut-butter brownies because it was Clark's birthday! And Joshua made a sign for the door. It's what we do.

It wasn't too far into the morning when his girlfriend, Jenni texted Joshua, "get up here...Julia drama."

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! I don't know what went on, but with those two...there's NO TELLING.

Joshua said, "I didn't respond. What am I gonna do from here?"

Wise, wise man.

I tell him all the time about an episode from the Cosby show where Bill Cosby is trying to tell one of his sons-in-law how to deal with their wives. He would say, "DON'T. GET. INVOLVED." And he showed him how to just throw up his hands and back away from the situation...without saying a word.

This morning, I took Joshua to the Center. All the friends were there and they were all getting SO excited! When I picked him up, they were all sitting at different tables in groups of 4 or 5, mixing up bowls of cookie dough and brownies for the BIG BALL. They try to keep Joshua and Jenni in different groups. Works out better that way! Joshua's group was making "glutton free" chocolate chip cookies.

I need me some glutton free cookies. Just sayin'.

They took turns stirring up the mix. Joshua stirred first, then passed the bowl to Crystal. Crystal mainly talked...and then she passed the bowl to Stephanie, who rarely talks. Stephanie stirred while Crystal said, "get it, GIRL...get it...stir it like you're mad."
'
I was starting to feel a little uncomfortable!

Crystal is a talker. She talks and talks and talks. Every time I see her, she says, "hey, girl...how you doin'?" And then in about 15 seconds, she'll ask me the exact same thing again. Like Joey Tribiani from "Friends." Ha. And she is the sweetest, most loving, most sincere person EVER.

Anyway, Stephanie passed the bowl to Melissa. Melissa is the one who has to eat gluten free. And lastly, Melissa passed the bowl to Julia.

Here is a snippet of the conversation:

Crystal: "Joshua is going to be my special Valentine."
Me: "Oh, he is? What about your boyfriend, Brandon?"
Crystal: "Oh yeah."
Me: "And Jenni...won't she be upset by that?"
Julia: "mmmm...mmmm..."
Joshua: "She probably won't care."
Crystal: "Oh yeah? Okay."
Julia: "NO DON'T DO THAT."
Crystal: "I was just pretending. HAHAHAHA. Hey, Marty...how you doin'?"
Me: "Everyone can just be friends."
Crystal: "ooooooo...I'm gonna be in troooouuubbblllee!"
Julia: "mmmm...mmmm..."

I just love them ALL!

So excited about the BIG DANCE!

"Greet each other with Christian love." 2 Corinthians 13:12

No comments:

Post a Comment