Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Ice Day

We had an ice day yesterday. It was great...except for the fact that many people were out of power, some people still had to go to work, and there was damage to homes and vehicles because of falling limbs.

If you were home and safe and warm like I was...it was great.

But I never want to forget those who weren't.

Jim got up to go into work early. He works for the utility company, so I knew it would be a busy day for him. I did hear from him once...I didn't expect that. He knows that I've got things under control here at home. If I need him, I could call him and if he could get here...he would.

But we made it fine. Clark spent almost all day at his girlfriend's house with her family, so Joshua and I were the only ones home. Joshua was disappointed that we wouldn't be traveling into LR to meet up with his friends at his Therapeutic Recreation. It was canceled, anyway.

Even tho there was no school or anything, I was up at the crack of dawn. I had prepared our home yesterday for the predicted weather. I changed all the sheets, washed all the towels, made some soup, vacuumed the floors. I started a load of clothes. I didn't know if we would lose power. I loaded the dishwasher and ran it. I found the candles and the lighter and set them out. I washed a load of "couch blankets." I started making some cookies. I washed my hair. I changed into clean pajammies. I stayed in them all day. It was glorious.

But you know what? You can prepare your home and yourselves and do everything you're supposed to do...and you could still lose power. Your pipes could still burst. A tree or a limb could still fall on your house...or your car. You just can't plan for everything.

But I'm telling you right now, it's gonna be every man for himself if our electricity does go out...I'm racing Clark to the freezer for the Heath bar ice-cream.

Because when the power goes out, we eat all the ice-cream first.

What? It's gonna melt anyway!

I like to plan. The meteorologists have been predicting this weather for days. We have plenty of food. I made taco soup yesterday. I also cooked some ground beef that I had in the frig. If we lose power, we can warm it up on the grill and have tacos or something. I made Trisha Yearwood's Low Country Boil last night, and it was really good. I knew it would hit the spot with Jim after his long day...but he missed dinner. He got home at 10:30, and was back out the door before 6:30 this morning.

So far, we still have electricity. Many do not. So thankful for God's protection for our family.

"...He who watches over you will not slumber." Psalm 121:3

No comments:

Post a Comment