Saturday, February 22, 2014

Letting Go of a Dream

I think we all have dreams, whether we realize it or not. Dreams for our lives, our children's lives...for our world.

I have written on here before about my Cinderella Complex, which I may or may not still have. Even today.

I just see things through a different glass. I don't know that that's wrong or bad...it's just different, I guess. I'm a definite optimist, and maybe a little unrealistic when it comes to how I see things. I think it's my bent...definitely part of how God made me.

So when it came to having children, it was the same way. I was shocked when our first child, Joshua, was born with Down Syndrome...because it never entered my mind that my children would be anything other than healthy. And cute.

As time went on, we naturally had dreams for each of our children. We still do.

I remember a conversation with my Mom. She told me, "I always thought that our family would be different. That our family would be the one that changed the world."

We weren't different.

We haven't changed the world.

Realistically, how could that even happen? I mean, we aren't the Kennedy's...or the Bush's. We weren't born into a political dynasty where everything you did, said...or wore...conveyed some sort of message or inspired a trend. How could we possibly change the world?

My Mom had a pretty big circle of influence. She was kind of a big deal to those around her, and she was good about using her talents. She worked hard each day at her job, and the rest of the time was spent crafting a life. She had a marriage, children, grandchildren, friends...choir and her ladies ensemble and all kinds of different opportunities to use her voice to praise God and bless others. Did she change the world? No. She died.

But she changed one life. One life. At a time.

Through her life...with her voice and by her testimony.

God in her.

He changed her.

And in turn, she changed a life.

And isn't that what we are taught in our evangelism conferences...each one reach one?

She changed my Dad's life. He became a Christian after they married...and that changed my life and the lives of my siblings, because my parents took us to church and taught us the way to live and gave us opportunities to know and learn more about God. My Mom changed her Mom's life, because my Grandmother's faith was strengthened by the way my Mother lived her life and raised her family. And so the 4 of us, my sisters and brother...we all have children of our own. How we raise them will make a difference...in their lives, and maybe even in the world. Some of them may be on Broadway. Some may be business moguls. Some may teach, preach or work in ministry. Some may be doctors or nurses or therapists. Some may serve and protect our country. Some may be Special Olympians. ;) Some may be moms and dads.

Will our family be the one that changes the world? I don't know. I DO know that one person sold out for Christ...a fisherman, physician, political leader, tax collector, shepherd, mother, king...can do mighty works in His name.

"...whoever turns a sinner from the error of his ways will save that person from death and bring about the forgiveness of many sins." James 5:20

No comments:

Post a Comment