Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Labor Day 2016: The Weekend of Death, Part 1

Our Labor Day weekend was nothing like I had planned. First of all, we had to put down our beloved dog, Maggie, on Friday.

Logan and Morgan arrived on Friday evening. We ordered pizza for dinner, because it was easy...and because it was something everyone could eat at their convenience. Holly and Aaron and Rhodes came over to eat dinner with all of us.

Clark arrived about 10.

And, ya know, things were great for about 4 hours. Because when I went to bed around 11:30, Clark was sacked out in a chair...and Logan was out in the garage doing pull-ups, and running intervals in the drive-way.

I don't know why.

I've given up trying to understand boys.

But, at about 2 a.m., I heard a noise that made me sit straight up out of a dead sleep...someone was sick.

It took me a minute to figure out who it was. It was Logan.

And here is where it was different from every other time Logan was sick. This time, Logan is married. He has a wife, and she was asleep in the bed next to him. I couldn't just run in there and make a big fuss of taking care of him. That was her job now.

This went on for most of the night. Jim woke up, listened a minute, and said, "Logan is sick."

And went back to sleep.

I got up and made breakfast on Saturday morning, while Jim was out on his run. Clark was sitting in the family room, drinking coffee. He said that he'd already been out for a walk.

At one point, I saw Logan walking through the family room. He was coming from the living room...we have a couch in there. He said that he didn't want to wake up Morgan, so he went in there to sleep. He was still sick. I left a bottle of Gatorade on the counter, and he grabbed it when he came out of the bathroom...and went back to the living room.

Morgan said that she had no idea Logan was sick until she woke up, and saw a text from him that read, "I'm in the living room. I'm sick."

So Saturday was pretty much a blur, because Logan stayed on the couch all day long.

I, on the other hand, washed the sheets and the blanket from their bed, and all the towels in the bathroom. I even picked up some of his clothes that I found on the floor in their room...and I washed those, too. Not taking any chances. I wiped down their bathroom faucet, sink, counter, toilet, the toilet flusher thing, the shower, towel rack, cabinet knobs, door knobs, and the light switches.

And anything in the kitchen I thought he might have touched.

And then I wiped down everything in the living room I thought he might have touched...including the leather couch. I washed the blankets he wrapped up in, and the decorative pillow he used. I didn't really think the pillow was washable, but I didn't think I had anything to lose. I was throwing it in the washing machine, regardless. If it got ruined, it was going in the trash. If it survived the wash, I would keep it.

We grilled out for dinner...burgers and hot dogs, I made baked beans, cheese dip, and a peanut-butter pie. Logan was feeling better, and that made this Mommy SO HAPPY.

But the weekend wasn't over yet...

"O Lord, do not stay far away! You are my strength; come quickly to my aid!" Psalm 22:19

No comments:

Post a Comment