Monday, April 28, 2014

Tornado-2014

I posted about last night here.

We had gone up to Logan's church for Senior Recognition Sunday. He doesn't really want to walk at his graduation (and I'm trying not to die a thousand deaths over it)...so we were thankful to be a part of the service yesterday. College graduation is a pretty big deal. I just don't think kids realize the sacrifices that parents and grandparents and others make in order for them to have this opportunity.

I didn't.

But now I do.

Jim works for the utility company, so we had our eyes on the storm. We left Logan's place early and raced back home. Clark had stayed here because he teaches a 6th grade boys Sunday School class. We knew he was safe and with his girlfriend's family, but we wanted to get home and get all of our chicks in the nest.

There are certain things I do to prepare for storms. I changed into something comfy that I could wear for a long time. I wore my Muck-type water-proof shoes. I fed my family. I cleaned out the closet under the stairs so there would be room for all of us. I washed the sheets for the bed in Logan's room, in case we had someone who needed a place to stay.

You can prepare and be aware...and sometimes there's just nothing that can prevent loss of property...or loss of life.

We live in the South, and when there's a tornado warning, most normal people would head to their safe place. Typically, around here, the men all want to stand outside and look up in the sky. Not all men. But my man...and my boys. We were under a tornado warning and Jim and Clark were out on the front porch looking up at the sky.

What the what?

Family and friends were texting us, making sure we were staying safe. Some were asking if I was wearing a bra...bc you know, after tornadoes, they always interview the people who look like they were caught in the middle of undressing.

Of course, everyone knows tornadoes are very serious and not a joking situation. They were just teasing with me because we live in Arkansas...and everyone thinks we are all hillbillies here.

Ain't nuthin' e'er been fuh-thah from tha truth.

We never had to get in our closet...but Holly and Aaron were in their bathtub. She said that she heard him running water early in the afternoon, and went to ask what he was doing. He told her he was cleaning the bathtub, because if they had to get in it later...during the storm...he wanted it to be clean for her.

Everybody say "awwwww."

What a sweetie.

After it passed through here, Jim headed in to work. I checked on my friends in Searcy...all who were in various storm shelters and "fraidy holes." All are safe this morning.

The tornado headed up 67 N towards where Logan and Morgan are. Logan lives in a little "Cracker Barrel" house....that's what I call it. Looks like the big, bad wolf could huff and puff and blow it down. I begged him not to stay there and to find a shelter at the college. FINALLY, Morgan texted us a picture of Logan, Morgan, Morgan's sister, Bailee...all taking shelter in the basement of the Library on campus. I was so relieved.

Side note: they also smuggled Bailee's little dog into the Library basement in their coats.

Jim got home around 1 a.m. I had the tv on, watching a line going north towards Logan's area...again. At the time, it looked like it was going to go north of them. Jim got a call at 2:15 or so, and I heard part of that...and I must've dozed off. At that point, I had been awake for nearly 24 hours. Jim was gone early this morning. I just heard from Morgan. That last storm DID hit their town...their sirens went off and the house mom in her sorority house woke everyone up. Morgan called to walk up Logan and called Bailee. The sirens were going off, but everyone was sleeping through them.

So thankful they are all safe this morning.

We are praying for those who are suffering loss of any kid from this storm...and for those still in it's path.

"So she called the LORD who spoke to her: the God Who sees..." Genesis 16:13

No comments:

Post a Comment