Friday, April 11, 2014

My Dad and The Military Alphabet

You just have to know my Dad: career military, super sweet...and extremely a TAD hard-of-hearing...especially over the phone.

He called me the other day because he and Mrs. Clara were wanting to get a wedding gift for Logan and Morgan. They didn't know if Logan's name would be on the registry, or just Morgan's...since she's the bride. They couldn't remember Morgan's last name, and their computer has crashed so they had no way of looking it up on Facebook.

Morgan has a long last name...I think it may even be of German descent. I'm not even sure. It's not Smith or Jones or something easy...AND, when I tell my Dad, he can't hear me well enough to understand it, so he asks me to spell it.

And I'm saying, "S" and he's repeating "F? Are you saying F?"

Argh...I know he was as frustrated as I was.

Well, we go back and forth until finally I think he's got it...and he says, "okay, let me repeat it back to you," and proceeds to go all military alphabet on me: "So that's Sierra-Echo-Lima-India-Golf..." (not the real spelling of her name).

Not gonna lie...I got so tickled, and was laughing so hard that I had to pull my car over into a parking lot.

I love my Dad.

In other news, we were headed to Little Rock one day this week...I was taking Joshua to Therapeutic Recreation. There's one stretch of highway about 15 minutes out and that's when I put in the FROZEN cd for him...and we sing the songs he likes all the way in. He likes, "Do You Want To Build a Snowman, For the First Time in Forever, Open Door, Let It Go..."

On the final stretch of highway, I looked over and saw...A MATTRESS on the side of the interstate. And it brought back memories. And then one mile up the road...yep...there was the box springs...and Joshua laughed and laughed. I know that it's not funny to lose a mattress/box springs on the road. It can be dangerous...even deadly...depending on where it falls and if a car hits it or if a person gets hit dragging it off the road, etc. But it just reminded Joshua and I of our family's experience...and it WAS funny. Well, mainly Jim's face was funny because he was so mad...and Clark's face was funny because he was laughing...and Logan's face was funny because he and Clark had their cell phones out taking pictures. And Joshua and I? Our faces were NOT FUNNY, because we were in the car worried sick about the goof-balls on the side of the road.

But back to this day, Holly picked him up for me again. He said that he'd had a good day. They had "hanged around" the center and then went to walk on a trail at a park. They had lunch at the TR Center and I sent him a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich and it was FINE...and then they worked on scrapbooking some pictures from the last month or so.

And then his "high light hash tag" of the day was singing Frozen with me on the way to LR...and with Holly on the way home.

I love that boy.

"Let your speech always be gracious..." Colossians 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment