Saturday, April 12, 2014

Joshua-The Best Man

In 7 weeks, our son, Logan, will be getting married to his High School sweetheart. They have dated for 5 1/2 years. We could not be more proud of the standards they have set for themselves during their dating relationship, and we believe that God will bless their relationship because of those choices.

Logan has been slow in choosing his groomsmen. Truth be told, he is slow about everything. Takes his time. Thinks it out. Thinks some more.

Drives us all nuts.

He knew he wanted Joshua and Clark to be groomsmen, and his two best friends he basically grew up with...and is still friends with today. Then he has two friends from High School...and two friends from college. It's kind of cool that it worked out that way. Morgan is having 8 bridesmaids, but Logan didn't care if he matched up or not. He would've been content with 2 groomsmen...or 4...or 5...whatever. I'm glad they will "match up" and I am in complete agreement with the ones he chose.

Not that my opinion matters in any way.

I am really proud of him, tho.

Anyway, I didn't know who he was planning to choose for his best man. I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about it because...have I mentioned how slow he is about making choices? I have? Okay. It would just take years off my life if I wondered what went on in his mind all the time.

Well, he finally told me one day that he was going to ask Joshua to be his best man, and I nearly cried because JOSHUA.

I knew Joshua would be so honored and take it so very seriously.

Anyway, Logan came home last month and he wanted to ask Joshua then. Seems like it was a trip when he came up with Morgan just for the day, and they left late at night and scared me half-to-death because they drove back to school, arriving at 1:45 in the morning.

I AM TOO OLD FOR THIS.

But he wanted to ask Joshua before he left...and Holly and Aaron were at dinner with friends and there was NO WAY SHE WAS MISSING THIS...so Logan was texting Holly and she was, like, "WE ARE ON OUR WAY." In the end, they all made it here and they called Joshua to come downstairs. He was already upstairs in his night-clothes. When he came down, Logan said, "I think you have mail in there." He had left a note for Joshua, asking him to be his best man.

So, Joshua went to get the note and brought it in the living room to read it. Holly took pictures and Aaron recorded it on his cell phone. Joshua's mouth moved slowly as he read, and his eyes were darting all over the page. I could tell that he was trying to put it all together. I was sitting behind him, and I saw his cheeks go up...He was smiling. He kept reading...and smiling even more. By the end of the letter, he was grinning from ear to ear, and breathing fast and heavy. He was excited. When he finished reading, he looked up at Logan and said, "you know I will..." and bolted over to the couch to give him a big hug.

It was the sweetest thing everrrr.

It was only after the pictures and after the hoop-lah and after Holly "interviewed" Joshua about what he thought about it...that I got to read the note that Logan wrote:

Joshua,

I need someone who is strong, handsome, patient, kind, manly, cool, a good big brother, smart, wise, a good basketball player, a weight-lifter, a tough guy, and a man of God to be my best man. The only one I can think of that matches that description is YOU. Will you be my Best Man?
            -Logan

I love being a mom...even when my kids have made me sadder, madder and crazier than I ever could've imagined. But it's times like these, when God allows us a tiny peek into the window of His Big Picture...we see that maybe our efforts are making a difference. And that makes me even more thankful for the children He has given us.

Best Man? On this particular day, I think it was Logan.

"...encourage the young men to be self-controlled in everything..." Titus 2:6-7

2 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! I loved the letter.

    Heidi M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It really was the sweetest thing ever, and something I will always remember. Thank you for reading and for your sweet comments. :)

      Delete