Tuesday, April 29, 2014

"The Aftermath of the Tornado"

I have other posts waiting to be shared...they just need some editing. No big deal, right?

It's just that, with the events of this week, I'm finding it hard to focus.

I spent all day yesterday watching the live coverage of the aftermath of the tornado. I think that's what they are calling it.

I don't recommend doing this.

Jim got home and asked what I did that day...and I straight up told him, "very little." I couldn't break myself away from the TV. I would leave the room and then come right back. I didn't want to watch it, but I just couldn't stop myself.

Many of the stories, most of them, were heartbreaking. A Dad and two of his children...all dead. Two little brothers...dead. A member of the National Guard...died while using his body to protect his 5 year old daughter. She lived.

And more stories like that.

My heart could hardly take it and I was in tears more than once. I stayed in the house all day, and we ordered food because I didn't feel like cooking. This is rare for our family on a random Monday night.

Today, I took Joshua into LR for his Therapeutic Recreation. A trip that normally takes 35 minutes, today took 1 hour 25 minutes. It was worse on the way home this afternoon: 1 hour 40 minutes.

The travel delays were all due to the rubberneckers on the Interstate...I had to explain that term to Joshua. Everyone was wanting to look at "the aftermath of the tornado" in Mayflower, Arkansas. We went approximately 5-10 mph for about 5 miles. It was agonizing. Then, as soon as everyone went past it, they sped up to 70 mph and it was fine the rest of the way.

Jim had gone to Mayflower just a couple of hours after the tornado hit...and he was there  yesterday, and again today. He was telling me that I couldn't imagine the damage...and today, two days later, he was right. The whole town is pretty much demolished. Joshua took pictures on his i-PHONE from the window of the car...that's how slow we were going.

My heart just aches for the families who have lost loved ones. I told Joshua that I wasn't prepared to see all of the devastation. I guess I had put my hand over my heart at some point while I was driving. He reached over, patted my shoulder and said, "we need to be very thankful that we were spared."

YES, THIS IS MY DOWNSY BOY TALKING TO ME LIKE THIS.

He continued, "you can replace cars and houses and boats and buildings...but you can't replace a person."

Actually, I think he used the word, "human" instead of "person," and he pronounced it, "HOOman." So funny.

He is such a blessing.

And your prayers would not be wasted on the state of Arkansas. I'm sure this can be said for the other places this storm hit yesterday and today.

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." Psalm 147:3

No comments:

Post a Comment