Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Asking For Help

Today was one of those days when I didn't really have a plan. I debated over and over on what I should do with my time.

It never occurred to me to ask God how I should spend my day.

I went back and forth on different things...I do have lots of errands to run. Easter is this weekend after all.

I don't know. I just really felt impressed to come home...even to I didn't really have something pressing I needed to take care of.

Oh, I had laundry and the kitchen was a mess from DAY-2-of-the-making-of-the-pancakes-that-Clark-AGAIN-didn't-have-time-to-eat.

And I had shopping to do. When my kids were little, I LOVED it when they could all match on Easter...Christmas...Mother's Day. Now, tho, they aren't having it. I mean, I guess that WOULD be pretty creepy at their ages, but I do try to be sneaky and get the boys shirts that JUST SO HAPPEN to kind of coordinate.

I had also told Clark that I would take him shopping after school. I knew he wouldn't get home from track until 4...and then we had to eat and I had to be at choir by 6. Doesn't leave a lot of time on a Wednesday for shopping...or anything else.

Don't you love it when your kids come to you and say they need something...BY THE NEXT DAY...and it's like your busiest day of the whole week? That's kind of what happened, and I didn't know how I was going to work it out.

And I realize that maybe it wasn't my problem. Or, like Holly says, "not my circus...not my monkey." And maybe I should've let him try to figure it out on his own. But this kid never asks us for anything...and the fact that he came to me specifically and asked for help, well...it was like a little Easter miracle.

I ended up coming home, but I was restless and uneasy...but then I got a call from a friend who needed help. And, of course, I dropped my plans and schedule for the rest of the day, and rushed to help her...like she would do and has done for me on many occasions. I was blessed to do it.

Holly got home early today from nursing school. I called her and she had Clark come to her house, and she took him shopping. What a great sister!

You know, my friend said that I was a good friend for helping her...but, really, that was the easy part. For me, I think she was the better friend because she asked for help. I know her...and she's like me. We like to be the ones who keep things together for our families. People call on US to help...not the other way around.

I felt honored and I received the biggest blessing today. I was so thankful that I listened to God...even tho I didn't understand. Because I did, I was in the right place at the right time, and was able to help.

It was a great lesson for me today. I've been in situations where people ask if they can help me. I almost always say, 'no,' But today, I was reminded what a HUGE BLESSING it is when someone allows you into their lives.

"...we should love one another..." 1 John 3:11

No comments:

Post a Comment