Sunday, March 9, 2014

Ice, Hair, Lunch, Track

Couldn't really think of a "cute" or "catchy" title for this post, but I need to have one that will remind me what it's about know, because I'm OLD.

On Friday, Joshua and I had planned to go with Holly to her hair appointment. The plan was to leave our house at 7:15. In the morning. On a FRIDAY.


Unfortunately, we have to cross a large bridge over a river to get there. The news was reporting "freezing fog" on the bridge was causing accidents, and that police had both sides blocked, preventing drivers from getting on the bridge. And there was an accident.


On hair day?

You know that if there is "frozen fog" or anything like that, we will all balk about having to drive to work or school...but our HAIR APPOINTMENTS?

"Ain't no mountain high keep me from you."

We called Kayla-the-hair-girl and told her our predicament. She agreed to move us til later in the morning. Yay! We made it there with no problems and Holly got some bouncin' and behavin' hair!

We made it back to town just in time for Joshua to have a lunch date with Jenni. Never mind the fact that while we were at the hair place, Holly pointed out that Joshua was wearing a pair of jeans that had A HOLE IN THE CROTCH. Ugh. And, Joshua knew it.

It was FRONT and CENTER.


He said that he couldn't find another pair of jeans. I wanted to wring his neck, but I couldn't. I wanted to run him home so that he could change before his date, but I couldn't. Jenni's helper-friend, Tiffanie, took them out for lunch. Joshua had a great time.

When Joshua and Jenni were done, we picked him up and booked it back to the house. Clark had a practice track meet in a town 45 minutes away. We got home about 15 minutes before we were hoping to leave.

By the time we got in the car and headed out, I was feeling kind of frazzled. And tense. I had done a lot of running around, but had been a while since I had to pack for a track meet. A year. But I did remember the blankets, the snacks and to remind Joshua to get a movie to watch in the car. The traffic was AWFUL on the way. We were concerned that we were going to miss Clark's first event, but we didn't.

Since it was a practice meet, it was kind of hard to tell how he did compared to the kids from the other schools. Compared to the other boys on our team, he did VERY well. At least he knows where he is and what he needs to work on.

We came home and Logan was here! He had come in for the weekend. Holly and Aaron took him to dinner, and hung out until we got home.

Later, after everyone left, I pulled a Mammaw Irene. She was my mother-in-law's mother...Jim's grandmother. I didn't know her until she was already old. She lived with her husband until he died, and then she moved in with my in-laws. When we would all come to visit, it was wild and loud and crazy. She would tell us that she would "think about it later." I didn't really "get" what she was talking about until the last few years. When my family is all here and there is a lot going on...sometimes it's all I can do to make sure there's food on the table.

It's not until every one is gone that I allow my mind to relax...and I let myself think about what all went on...who I saw...what we talked about...what we did.

I think about it later.

"Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me." Isaiah 46:9

No comments:

Post a Comment