Sunday, March 16, 2014

Weekend Update 3/16/14

We've had a good weekend. I don't really even know why I'm bothering to write anything. It was a real snooze-fest.

Kind of like this post.

It does get better at the end...I promise.

On Friday night, we went out for dinner...and Holly and Aaron joined us. It was a lot of fun.

On Saturday, we really had no plans...and that was GREAT! Except that Jim wanted to get in a run. WHY IN THE WORLD he has to get up at the crack o'dawn on a Saturday is BEYOND ME. But he did. He also fixed breakfast for everyone after he got home, so that made up for a lot of aggravation!

We "hanged around" (Joshua's words) most of the day, and then Holly, Clark and I started getting cryptic messages from Logan that made us all think he might be coming home! I was so excited! But, as I was unloading the dryer, I started thinking how disappointed I was going to be if it was something we were all making up in our heads.

But, sure enough, about 5:15, we heard our doorbell ring. Before I could get to the door, Logan's key was turning in the lock! YAY! He had come to town with Morgan. She was attending a bachelorette party for a friend here in town, and Logan didn't want her to have to drive by herself.

Awwwwww...

Anyway, we all went to dinner, and Morgan went to her party...and Logan came home with us for a few hours. It was FUN having him here.

When Morgan was done and got back to our house, it was 10:45 at night...and they jumped in the car and headed back to their college, 2 1/2 hours away. And do you know what is NOT fun about that? Worrying half-to-death about them driving 2 1/2 hours in the dead of night...in the rain...in the dead of night.

Because I have determined that no matter how old my kids are...as their mom...I'm gonna worry about them. Not an incapacitating worry (let's hope)...just a deep concern for their safety and well-being.

I trust God...but I'm human.

(sigh)

I remember a Beth Moore series that we did at our old church. Can't remember which study, but in part of one lesson, she talked about the worst thing that could happen. And how she went to the Lord with whatever her fears were, and she said, "Lord, if this happens...well..." And she felt the Lord saying to her, "well, what?" And she said, "well, this or that will happen," and the Lord said, "and then what?" With each scenario she mentioned, He would say, "and then what?" She said she ended with, "well, I'll just die." And the Lord said, "and then what?"

And she realized that if the worst thing that could happen happened...and she lost her life...she was going to Heaven, so how could that really be the worst thing that could happen?

I think about that all the time.

Morgan texted me at 1:45 A.M. to say that they had made it safe and sound. One reason I had been worried, besides the obvious...that they were driving 2 1/2 hours in the rain in the dead of night...was that Logan fell asleep on the couch waiting for Morgan, and he slept a good 1 1/2 hours before she finally got back here. I thought he would be so groggy, but I guess he got enough sleep to power through. She had driven the whole way from their school to our house, and he was driving the whole way back to their school.

This morning came early...after that late night...and it was cold and rainy. I've always heard that for every drop of rain that falls, a Southern Baptist stays home from church. Well, it wasn't like that today! Our service was PACKED! We had a group from a facility that provides help and recovery for men addicted to alcohol or drugs.

The most moving part of the service, for me, was when the men...about 30 of them...came up one by one with these cardboard signs that they had made themselves. On one side, it had words that described what they were...what others have told them they would always be...the words they have told themselves. And one by one, they walked to the stage and showed those words to the congregation. Things like: LOST, DAMAGED, DESPERATE, WORTHLESS. And then we sat in awe of God's goodness as one by one, they turned over their signs to reveal who GOD says they are in Him: HEALED, REDEEMED, SAVED, VALUED.

A perfect picture of all of us...before Christ. And a perfect picture of all of us...IN Christ.

"...proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light." 1 Peter 2:9

No comments:

Post a Comment