Monday, March 10, 2014

The Dogs, The Cat and The Raccoon

Okay, I am BEYOND excited to write this post.

 I write this blog mainly for my family...to talk about things that are important to me: family, faith and life with Joshua. BUT, every once in a while, blog posts are just laid out in front of me like a gift.

I'm just sayin'.

On Saturday morning, Jim was going to run in a race here in town. It was a memorial race to honor the life of a 13 year old boy who died in 2005. He was apparently an animal lover, and so his parents tried to figure out a way to incorporate all of that into one event.

CHECK.

Even tho Clark had had a track meet the night before, he decided to enter this race as well...it was only a 2k. And then there was a 1k race where you could bring your pets.

So, the town square area was covered with people and their dogs...all shapes, sizes, breeds. Some were dressed up...which, was cute on some, and just unfortunate on others...but, lots of fur and lots of barking.

BUT THEN...I saw what I thought was the funniest thing I had ever seen: someone had put a large cage in a baby stroller. They had fastened it to the stroller with ties...and there was a giant CAT in the cage. They were pushing their CAT in the race.

And the cat was so embarrassed. You could just tell.

Because we know good and well that no self-respecting cat would EVER voluntarily participate in any act of physical exertion.

So I took a picture...OF COURSE...and put it on my Facebook.

But what I saw next nearly took my breath away. A lady behind me had brought her pet raccoon to the race.

*just gonna let that sink in for a minute*

SHE BROUGHT A RACCOON....THAT IS HER PET...TO A RACE.

To a race where there are 100 dogs.

Which, Jim had wanted me to bring Maggie, our Black Lab. I did not want to bring her because 1) she about yanks my arm off on our walks; 2) she would try to poo everywhere; 3) I was concerned about the interaction with other dogs...and 4) one time she "retrieved" our neighbor's little toy-sized pure-breed dog and brought it to us in her mouth (the dog was fine) (the dog's little boy was screaming, "MY DOGGGG!") and our neighbors never looked at us the same way.

It's been years, but I'm still not over it.

Anyway, if I had brought Maggie with me, she would've had that raccoon up a tree in 15 seconds.

And so...my heart was full. The sun was out. Jim and Clark both ran well. I saw lots of cute dogs. I saw someone pushing a cat in a roller-stroller...annnnd I saw a lady holding a pet raccoon.

Please tell me this counts as one of my 1000 gifts, because RACCOON.

Does life get any better?

Why yes...yes, it does...because Jim decided to run our vehicle through the car wash on the way home. You know how they have your choices listed on the little machine, and you choose the one you want? As he is pulling into the bay, Jim says, "I hope this place does a good job...I chose the wet willy.."

And that's how Clark died.

From laughing.

"A joyful heart makes a face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment