Monday, September 30, 2013

Marriage...and "Ar-ca-teck-ing"

The other day, we were on our way home from Little Rock, Joshua and me...I...whatever. And in deep conversation.

Seems like we have a lot of good conversations on our drives.

I don't know why that is, since we are home together most of every day...and we TALK then, too.

Anyway, he was talking about marriage.

Side note: Every time I hear the word "marriage," all I can think of is the movie "Princess Bride." You know what scene I'm talking about? "Mawage is wot bwings us togeder today..."

We were at a wedding the other day...a solemn, serious event. I was cracking myself up as soon as the minister said the word, "marriage."

ANYway, Joshua said, "well, you've already got Holly married off. And Logan will be getting married in May. And Clark will be next." I said, "Clark has a while to wait, SINCE HE'S JUST IN HIGH SCHOOL." He said, "well, yes. It will be about 3 years for me and Jenni...5, if she doesn't behave."

Well.

"Mawwage, that bwessed awwangement, that dweam within a dweam..."

Sorry.

At this point, I might as well say...we don't know about the marriage thing for Joshua. We just don't know. There's really nothing in the books about what to do here. I mean, there probably is. I know there is. You find me the book and I will hit you over the head with read it. It's sooo much easier to just read about something on paper...than it is to actually be living it out. Because every situation is different.

It's so hard with Joshua, because he is high-functioning enough that he knows about all of these things, and what all you do at certain ages (drive a car, etc). ARRRGGGHHH. I hate seeing him confused about why he is not able to do them. He wants to get married. He wants to have children. But Jim and I? We don't want to be the one to burst his bubble about all of that...at least not right now. We just keep hoping to put things off as long as we can before we have to actually deal with it.  I call this the ostrich-head-in-the-sand approach.

Don't do what I do.

I told Joshua that it's our hope and plan that when we move again...or maybe when we move to where Dad will retire...we will have enough space to build a little house or apartment-type place on our property for him...or for him and Jenni. His eyes lit up and he said, "Aaron can ar-ca-teck (architect) it for me!"

Me: "'Scuse me?"

Joshua: "Aaron can arcateck it for me."

I said, "I didn't know Aaron could do that."

Joshua: "Yes! He's good at it!"

So, there you go. If we need any help designing a house, our son-in-law can arcateck it for us!

"And wove, twue wove, wiww fowwow you fowevah and evah...so tweasuwe youw wove..."

"Now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1 Cor 13:13

No comments:

Post a Comment