Monday, February 29, 2016

While Jim is Gone: DAY 1

My husband is going on a missions trip out of the country today. Side note: Do you say "mission trip" or "missions trip?" I say missions trip, but it always sounds funny. Whatever.'s a "construction" missions trip, so it will be a lot of hard work. This is right up Jim's alley, because he is very "handy." He can pretty much build or fix anything.

He will be gone for 8 days.

I can't remember if we've ever been apart this long. I mean, in 35 years of marriage...I just don't remember it happening.

Of course, I've lost all my brain cells, so there's that.

I decided to write about it every day, and then post it after he gets home...because no sense in letting everyone know that Joshua and I are here by ourselves. Eeek!


Jim got up at 3 a.m....and I got up with him. He had an early flight out of Little Rock. There are about 16 men from our church going on this trip. They were all meeting at our church at 3:30 a.m., and taking a church van to the airport together.

As much as I hated not being at the airport to watch them leave...I DIDN'T hate not having to get Joshua up at 3 a.m., and dealing with 117.5 pounds of "WHAT ARE WE DOING?" And "WHY DO I HAVE TO GET UP?"

I expected Jim would text when they boarded...and when they got to their lay-over...and when they got to their destination. Because, ya know...HE SAID THAT HE WOULD.

Unfortunately, he had this brilliant idea of having all 4 kids on a group text message, and keeping them updated that way...even tho they think group messages are OF THE DEVIL. And, really, were any of them up at 3 a.m. with him?

No, no they were not.

And was I included on this group message?

No, no I was not.


So, I got no update until he was on the plane out of the country. Which, I was glad to hear that...but I had been waiting to hear from him, instead know...TRYING TO GO BACK TO SLEEP. I finally dozed off at 6 a.m. I heard Joshua coming down the stairs at 8 a.m. If you've read here long, you know that Saturdays are our "big breakfast" days.

But, COME ON. His Dad was going to be gone, and I love Joshua...but I'm not making biscuits, gravy, eggs and bacon for the two of us.

I heard Joshua in the kitchen...sniffing around. Opening the oven. Opening the frig. I was in my bed, but rolled over away from my bedroom door, so he couldn't see my face. I heard him come to the door, look in at me, mumble something...and then I heard him walk down the hall and back up the stairs.


I had made lemon poppyseed muffins on Thursday morning for this very reason. I typically make blueberry muffins on Mondays, because that's Joshua's routine and I don't mind. I make 6...and he eats 2 on Mondays, 2 on Tuesdays, and the last 2 on Wednesdays. And then he has pop-tarts or whatever on Thursdays and Fridays. We have a "big breakfast" on Saturdays...and we always, ALWAYS have cinnamon rolls on Sunday mornings.

Welcome to Crazy Town.

I knew that I would be really tired on Saturday morning. Actually, I kind of figured that Saturday would be a hard day all the way around...and kind of gave myself permission to just CHILL. Guess I didn't make that clear to the brown-eyed boy who was boring a hole into the side of my head this I laid in my bed.

I mean, I didn't think it was expecting too much for him to use the power of his finger and the warm up 2 muffins for his breakfast.


"Two people are better than one. They can help each other in everything they do." Ecclesiastes 4:9

No comments:

Post a Comment