Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Boring, Ordinary Days

We've had a nice couple of days. Yesterday was Monday, and if you've followed here for very long, Mondays mean muffins. Or it better. Or all you-know-what breaks loose.

Just kidding. But not really.

I knew that we were running low on eggs, but I checked on Sunday night, and we had 2 left...which is JUST what I needed to make the muffins in the morning.

Well, my heart sank when I heard the skillet sizzling before 6 a.m., because I knew...there went my eggs. In his defense, Jim thought we had more eggs in our outside frig...and we usually do. I don't typically run out of eggs. But we didn't. And I did.

I debated on getting up and getting ready right then...and heading to the grocery...at 6:30 IN THE MORNING. But if you know me at all, you know that that is crazy talk.

I should've gone to the store while Jim was here with Joshua, but I didn't want to get dressed at 6 a.m. on our "stay home" day. I just can't leave Joshua here alone. He is very mature in many, many ways...but he does not have judgment when it comes to being safe...opening doors to strangers and things like that.

Instead, I waited until Joshua woke up on his own, and then we headed out. It wasn't too bad, and he was not grouchy at all. I mean, the promise of warm, buttery muffins made him very amiable to whatever I needed to do to make that happen. Ha!

After breakfast, we just hung out here at home. I did laundry and put a roast in the crock-pot...stuff like that. And even tho we didn't finish breakfast until around 10 a.m., at straight-up noon ON THE DOT, Joshua came downstairs for lunch.

My grandmother used to say that it didn't matter if you were hungry or not...if it was lunch-time, you ate.

Joshua ascribes to that philosophy.

Because I had a brain-freeze and completely forgot to put the potatoes and carrots in the crock-pot with the roast, I had to cook them separately. And because I had to cook them separately, I decided to make mashed potatoes, instead of "crock-pot potatoes," to go with the roast.

I realize that, at this point, the post has gone from boring...to a snooze-fest, but my mind was already thinking about lunch the next day. This is another trait I got from my Grandmother. We could be sitting at breakfast, and she would say, "so what about lunch?"

Because she just wanted to know.

And because she needed to plan.

We used to make fun of her (behind her back, of course), but now that I'm a wife and mother, I totally get that. Meals don't just happen, and when you have a family, you have to think ahead.

I was thinking about how Holly had to work today...and how she works a 12 hour shift in the NICU. And I was thinking about how much she loves my mashed potatoes...how they were the only thing she could eat without throwing up, during her first trimester.

So after we finished dinner, I got out two matching containers. I put half of the left-over roast in one, and the other half of the left-over roast in the other. I put half of the mashed potatoes in one, and the other half in the other. Actually, one container got more mashed potatoes than the other. I put the steamed broccoli in a small container...and I put the rolls and cookies in individual, little baggies. I rolled up silverware, and got a drink for each...and TAHHH DAHHH! I had two lunches for today! One for Holly (she got the most mashed potatoes BC EATING FOR TWO) to take to work...and one for Joshua to take to Therapeutic Recreation.

See? My mind is always clicking.

Hahahaha...Marty has jokes.

Today, Joshua had Therapeutic Recreation...and I ran errands. I also may or may not have bought a couple of baby things, BECAUSE BABY THINGS ARE SO SWEET!

And then I picked up Joshua, ran by the grocery, and came home armed with ingredients for a new recipe to make for dinner tonight. Jim was already home, and he had forgotten that he had a dinner meeting tonight...so errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrch. Change of plans. Joshua and I made homemade pizza, and called it a night!

This morning, as I woke up and began praying for my family, and others on my prayer list, I was very aware that I had been given another day of life. In the past 2 weeks, 3 of my friends have been diagnosed with breast cancer.

THREE.

Three different women in three different states.

My heart can hardly stand it.

So some of my first thoughts this morning were of them...how their thoughts this morning, were probably very different from mine. And I was thinking how, what they are facing...it could easily happen to me.

Today, I was very thankful for...another day. Another day to love and serve God. Another day to love and serve my family. Another day to reach out to friends. Another day for God to bring people into my life who might need an encouraging word.

I am thankful for ordinary, boring, days.

"Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment