Saturday, January 30, 2016

Kids, Toilet Paper...and the Rotten Milk

We've had a great weekend so far!

On Friday, Joshua and his girlfriend, Jenni, had a "lunch-date." Jenni has a helper girl named Tiffannie, and she took J&J to eat pizza for lunch here in town. While they were doing that, Holly and I ate at a cute, little lunch restaurant, and then shopped downtown for a few minutes.

She asked what our plans were for dinner, and I said we were going to grill-out...burgers and hot-dogs...and that she and Aaron-the-son-in-law were welcome to come over and eat if they wanted. She said, "that'd be great, but let's make it a little later, because Aaron doesn't get back in town until at least 6:30." I told her that would be fine, and then she took a big breath and said, "well, I'm going to go ahead and tell you this so that you can plan...but Logan and Morgan are coming home tonight, and they wanted to surprise you."

And that's how Marty died.

FROM HAPPINESS!

She said that she didn't want me to not have enough food, or not wait on them for dinner...and that I had to act surprised when they walked in.

After we picked up Joshua, we hit the ground running. I went to the grocery...then came home, put the clean sheets on the bed, and got fresh towels in the bathroom and all of that.

We were so, so happy to see Logan and Morgan. :) We hung out here last night, and until around noon today...and then they headed to spend time with Morgan's family.

This morning, after Jim got in from his run, he told me that our house, along with several others on our street, had been "rolled" (toilet papered) last night. We are thinking it must have been younger kids, because AMATEURS. They didn't do a very good job of it, which is fine because it made it easier to clean up.

But then Jim said, AND I SERIOUSLY COULD NOT EVEN BELIEVE THIS EVEN THO I HAVE BEEN MARRIED TO HIM FOR NEARLY 36 YEARS AND KNOW THAT HE IS ABOUT THE MOST FRUGAL PERSON I HAVE EVER MET...he said, "it's like the kids didn't even know what they were doing. They strung the toilet-paper along the top of our shrubs, and then LEFT A ROLL WITH SOME OF THE TOILET PAPER STILL ON IT."

He continued, "and it wasn't the cheap stuff...it was the GOOD toilet paper. So I picked up the toilet paper that was in the grass, and threw it away...but I'M KEEPING THE TOILET PAPER THAT WAS STILL ON THE ROLL...BECAUSE IT CAN STILL BE USED."

AREYOUKIDDINGME?

My husband is very thrifty, and I love that. And I hate it. I mean, during the first few weeks of January, he drank milk that was past the expiration date, just to prove a point. And yes, I buy "fresh" milk, and it's in our frig, but he had brought this milk home from his parent's house, and he was determined to drink it.

Waste not, want not.

I don't know if it finally got too rank for him to drink, or if he actually finished it up, but on the SEVENTEENTH DAY (PAST THE EXPIRATION DATE), the empty jug ended up in the recycling bin.

So, anyway...wasteful or not...I am not using toilet paper that was left in our yard under malicious circumstances.

Or any circumstances.

Ewww.

Especially since my sweet mother-in-law has supplied our family with "The Charmin" since 1988...when, she apparently had a moment when she worried that we would all run out of toilet paper. I don't even know. All I DO know is that I have...right now...in my master bathroom closet...AT LEAST 72 rolls of Charmin. And that's not including what's in the other bathrooms, and in the "supply closet" in the hallway.

It's a sickness, I tell you.

And, she doesn't just supply OUR family with toilet paper...she supplies Jim's two brother's families...and Holly and Aaron, and Logan and Morgan. Even Clark has taken some to college.

All this to say that I'm not going to use toilet paper that other people, STRANGERS, have touched.

Or, of course, toilet paper that has been thrown out in my front yard.

"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Luke 6:38

No comments:

Post a Comment