Monday, January 4, 2016

New Year's 2016: Texas Style

Knock-knock.

Anyone there?

I kept thinking that I was going to get on here and "catch up" from everything from the past two weeks. But...I can't remember what it is I wanted to catch up ON...things just happened so fast, and all the days ran together.

I did want to document our trip down to Texas for New Year's.

Every year, our family gathers at my sister, Leanne's, house to celebrate Christmas. But we do it after Christmas, and celebrate the New Year together as a family.

My sister bought the house next-door to her and rents it out like a vrbo type thing. She keeps it free for the times when our family typically gets together. It's so nice to have room to spread out and relax. Now when we go, we all hang out at the "bonus house." We cook there, sleep there, watch TV there. It's awesome.

I was excited to see my two sisters, my brother...and all of the kids...but I was excited/anxious/nervous to see my Dad.

My Dad has Parkinson's, and for a couple of weeks in December, he was really struggling. His doctors had increased one of his meds, and the side-effects were disturbing...to him, and to Clara. I was very anxious to see what he would be like when he got to Texas. And we were all prepared for them to call and say that they weren't coming. Traveling is hard for him...which means it's hard for Clara. Clara has to do all the driving, and when they stop, she sometimes has to help him get out of the car, get back IN the car. All of that.

Well, my Dad and Clara got there safely, and we had a quiet night visiting at the bonus house. My Dad seemed to be getting around okay, and he was cracking jokes and all of that. He told us, "every time we get together is more funner than the last time." Or something like that.

I think my Dad was an English major in college, so he certainly knows not to say "more funner..." he was just trying to be funny. But I think it clearly explains where Joshua gets his affinity for adding the word "more" and "er" to many of the words he uses. For example, he's used words like "more hairy-er," "more bigger," and "more prettier." That's my Joshua.

The next day, the other families came over...and the grand-kids filtered in and out. It.was.so.loud with everyone talking and laughing. I watched as the kids all went up to my Dad and talked with him. He and Clara worked the room like pros.

My Mom and Dad had 4 kids, and we produced 20 grandchildren. When my sister, Robin, married Kevin, my parents got 3 bonus grandsons...bringing the grandchild count up to 23. On this visit, my Dad was able to see all 4 of us kids, and 19 of his grandchildren. All of us agreed that my Dad seemed to be doing a lot better than he was last year, which was a HUGE blessing.

Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12

No comments:

Post a Comment