Saturday, January 23, 2016

One of THOSE...

One day this week, when Joshua was at his Therapeutic Recreation, I went to the mall to do some shopping. I was looking for these denim leggings like my sister was wearing when we were in Texas over New Year's. They are from Nordstrom's, and we don't have a Nordstrom's...but I knew I had seen the brand at our Dillard's.

I don't know why I felt the need to explain all about the denim leggings.

This chatty lady was working in the "hosery" department, and she was helping about 3 different people. I ended up finding something else, and she said she would check me out.

She was just talking about everything under the sun, and then she asked, "so...are you off today?" I said, "I guess." Then she gave me the side-eye and said, "or are you off EVERY day?" I said, "well, I guess you could say that."

I mean, I'm a stay-at-home wife and mom...by choice. It's what works for our family. But that doesn't mean that women who stay home and take care of children or manage their home don't work.

Not trying to start a FY-yah...just sayin'.

So this lady...she stops, puts down my package, and turns around to look at me. She stares at me over the "readers" that are perched on the end of her nose, and she says, "Ohhhhhh....so you're one of THOSE."

And then, "I'VE NEVER MET ONE IN REAL LIFE."

ARE you kidding me?

SHE'S NEVER MET ONE OF "THOSE" IN REAL LIFE.

It's not like I'm the rare, and rarely seen, Mexican black-eyed tree frog.

And, not that it was any of her business...and only because I took a bigggg breath, and tried to remember that "most people mean well..." I started telling her about my sweet Joshua.

I don't think it made a difference to her, because she interrupted me and started telling me about someone in her life...a boy who experienced head trauma during delivery because of the actions of a doctor (her story), and how they called him "baby Daniel" until the day he died at the age of 17...and how they got $160,000 in damages from a law-suit, but if they had lived in New York City instead of a small town in Arkansas...they would've been awarded millions.

I was exhausted by the time she was done.

As I turned to leave, she put her hand on mine and said, "you know...they only give special children to special parents."

(sigh)

MOST PEOPLE MEAN WELL.

"Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." Colossians 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment