Friday, December 4, 2015

Decking the Halls: The Pink Tree

Well, I usually have all of my decorations up well before Thanksgiving.

Or, most of them.

But Clark didn't want me to put up any Christmas decorations until AFTER Thanksgiving, and WHY I LISTENED TO A CHILD WHO IS RARELY EVEN HERE BECAUSE HE LIVES AT COLLEGE, I will never know. But I did...and now I'm way behind. I love Christmas and Christmas decorations so much, and I like to put them up early so I can look at them for a lonnnnng time.

Plus, I usually have Holly helping me, and two people get done a lot quicker than just one person. But she's been feeling puny, and I felt bad asking her to help me on her days off from work.

I got most of it done today, except for my Snow Village...which I absolutely love...AND I leave it up through February, usually. But just the thought of getting it all out makes me feel overwhelmed.

Anyway, back to today. I've had my family tree up for a week or so...and just had lights on it. You know, Christmas trees are pretty with nothing but lights on them. :) Last night, I put the mesh on it, and all of the decorations...and then I looked at it, and do you know what it looked like?

A pink tree.

If I buy mesh, I like to pick it up after Christmas, when it's on sale. Last year, I bought this red and white checked mesh, with the idea of changing up the red and gold that's been on this tree for the past few years. I thought how cute and rustic it would look.

Um. NO. It looks pink.

If you think you might want to buy red and white checked mesh, DON'T. Unless you want a pink Christmas tree.

And, if you think I'm kidding, Holly and Aaron-the-son-in-law came over and saw it, and she agreed that it might look a "tad" pink, but told me to add more red to it. So after they left, I went back up to the attic and pulled out the tub o'mesh. Sure enough, I had a couple of bolts of red mesh...and even tho I already had allllll the decorations on the tree, plus the "pink" mesh...I put the red mesh on there, too. And do you know what it looks like?

A pink and red tree.

And if you think I'm kidding, Joshua walked in and goes, "key-yuuuuuuuuuuute! A pink and red tree like Valentine's Day."

(sigh)

I realize this is a first world problem for sure, and it's not that I don't LIKE the pink and red tree...it's just that it didn't go with the vision I had in my mind.

Which, I should be used to that by now. My whole life is not how I envisioned, but it's exactly how it should be. Well, except for my sin and struggle and all of that. 

But God is making beauty out of my mess, just like I am making beauty out of the Valentine tree.

Which, the longer I stare at it, the more I really want some cotton candy. That's what the red and white checked poofs look like: cotton candy.

Our house is cozy and twinkly with all the lights. We are safe and warm. We are full from dinner. We love each other.

I am thankful.

"The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy..." Psalm 28:7

No comments:

Post a Comment