Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Veteran's Day 2015

My grandfather, my father, my brother, two of my nephews...4 generations of our family, serving our country.

Until I was married, the military life was all I knew. Living all over the country, and abroad, was the norm for us. Always being the new kid...that part stinks. Finally making friends, only to come home from school, and find out we were being transferred.

Again.

Trying to find our new destination on the globe always caused lots of tears.

Many times, my dad had to go on ahead to the new assignment, and my mom was left to handle the move, and the travel, and all of us kids. We moved 16 times before I graduated from high school.

BUT, we were taught pride for our country, honor for those who had fallen, thankfulness for the ones who serve, respect for our flag.

We were taught to stand, stop talking, remove our hats, and put our hands over our hearts, when the flag went by.

Our flag is not an idol, and we don't worship it. It's a symbol...of those who fought and for those who died. And it's a banner for those who currently serve. It unites and identifies us as Americans.

If you've ever lived in a foreign country, you know what it's like to see the American flag.

Today, we celebrate and honor our veterans, but we need to remember the families who stand behind them. They also make many sacrifices every day, as they support the ones who serve and fight for the liberty we all enjoy.

"And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise." Deuteronomy 6:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment