Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving 2015

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

We've had a quiet day. I haven't felt well for the past couple of days. Jim got sick when he got back from his hunting trip, and he thinks I may have picked up a bug from him. Which, super fun that it's over a holiday.

I have never been so thankful for pre-planning in my life. I spent the past two days going to the store, and making things ahead of time...so this morning, even tho I was feeling yucky, all I had to do was put the turkey in the oven.

SCORE!

When you have a large family, it's hard to work out a time for everyone to be here. I just decided to cook today for whoever was going to be here. Turns out, it was Joshua and Clark. The oldest and the youngest.

Earlier in the week, Joshua asked me when I was going to put up our Christmas trees. I said, "I am waiting to do that on Thanksgiving, because not everyone will be here and I will be sad...and putting up my trees will make me happy."

He looked at me with the strangest look on his face. He said, "why would you be sad? I'M HERE."

Well, of course! :)

I have missed my mom every day of the 17 years she's been gone...but I really miss her on the holidays. She had a way of making things special, and it all seemed so effortless. And I'm here to tell you: pulling together family and a meal and the little touches that make everyone feel special...is anything BUT effortless.

I am thankful for my family, and for the ones who have chosen to make us a part of their family. I am thankful that, Lord willing, I will have a highchair at my table next year. I am thankful for a Savior who died on a cross for me...so that, one day, Jim and I, and our children, can spend eternity in Heaven together, and with Jesus...where they won't be any more tears or death or sorrow or pain.

So, since there was just 4 of us, I decided to go more casual. We ate in the kitchen, instead of the dining room. And, even tho I have fancier dishes, I used my purple Mason jars from Target (because OBU Tigers), and dishes from my local Wal-Marks (because Pioneer Woman)...and I mixed them with my Mom's Wedgewood Blue China...and I think it turned out just fine.

"I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples..." Psalm 57:9

No comments:

Post a Comment