Friday, June 12, 2015

Camp Barnabas 2015: All The Food

One of the main things Joshua was sure to tell me about Camp this year...was the food. He told me what they had for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Actually, he wrote it all down in his journal, so he wouldn't forget.

One of the biggest things was that they had grilled chicken on the first night, instead of the hamburgers and hot dogs they usually have. He said the chicken was so hard that he couldn't cut it. He asked Daniel-the-counselor to cut it and even HE couldn't cut it.

And in his very next breath, he said, "it was really good."

My other kids swear that Joshua doesn't have any taste buds, because he pretty much likes every kind of food.

That's not entirely true, as evidenced by the fact that he didn't like the "grape juice" that was in the plastic "grape juice" jug that had "grape juice" written on the outside of the jug by the nice people at Welch's...this was the "grape juice" jug that he found in the refrigerator at my mother-in-law's house. When he drank a sip of it, he found out that it was NOT, in fact, "grape juice," but USED FISH OIL (oil that had been used to fry fish). Bless his heart...he couldn't tell the difference by looking. In his defense, he didn't know there would be anything other than grape juice in there, because WHY WOULD THERE BE ANYTHING OTHER THAN GRAPE JUICE IN A GRAPE JUICE JUG?

He was sick for 3 days.

Also, note to self: none of the "butter" dishes in my mother-in-law's frig actually have butter in them. They have left-overs in various stages of decomposition.

GROSS, but they apparently MUST.NEVER.THROW.AWAY.FOOD.

Anyway, Joshua is typically a real ego-booster when it comes to my cooking. Very complimentary.

He also liked telling me about what other people in his cabin had to eat. Like, he said one of his camper friends "drowned" his hot-dog weenie in pepper. Joshua could NOT understand why anyone would do that! Of course, this came from someone who probably "drowned" his hot dog weenie in ketsup!

Joshua loves him some ketsup!

And, he told us that, one night, they had ham and some "funny-looking" potatoes. When I asked him what kind of potatoes they were, he said, "I don't know..some kind of CALIFORNIA potatoes."

Oh, well, okay.

He also said, "I did not get sick...LIKE EVERYONE ELSE." When I questioned him on this, he said, "yeah...everyone in my cabin was getting sick, but I didn't. Yet."

And so we've spent the last seven days waiting for THAT shoe to fall. It's been a week, and, so far, so good.

The other main thing he talked about was his frustration with Matt P. at meal time. Matt P. would jump up and rush the stage as soon as the "pray-er" said, "Amen," and then Matt P. would lead the group in the pledge of allegiance, and end with a rousing version of "How Great Thou Art."

It doesn't sound that bad to me, but Joshua said it was after every meal...3 times a day...the whole week.

And to quote my sensitive and loving Joshua: "I love God and my country...but sometimes I just want to eat."

Camp 2015 Updates here, here, here.

"I will search for faithful people to be my companions." Psalm 101:6

No comments:

Post a Comment