Thursday, December 5, 2013

Milk and Bread and Crafts

Well, the temps are dropping and the rain is falling...just waiting on the freezing part to start.

Sure wish Jim was home safe and sound. He is in LR with a bunch of the other managers from his work, getting things ready and staged...and doing a lot of answering questions and waiting. You can be as prepared as possible, but you can't prevent weather...and you can't fix what it messes up until after it happens. People are gonna lose power...it's already happening in some parts of our state.

I wish he was here, but he works for the largest electric utility company in our state. He packed a bag, just in case he isn't able to come home.

I spent part of the day in LR with Holly. We dropped Joshua off with his group for a few hours. It's the last day of their fitness class of this year, and he didn't want to miss it. PLUS, his group was going to Panera Bread for lunch, and, not gonna lie...there hasn't been a storm, disaster or weather warning yet that will make any of the friends want to miss an outing to a restaurant.

Just sayin'.

Holly had a hair appointment, so I went with her. She got a bunch of hair cut off...5-6 inches, probably. And her hair is STILL longer than mine.

The girl has some hair. Her new style looks so cute!

I was fit-to-be-tied about the weather, like, the whole time we were there. Can't help it. I didn't really think it was the smartest idea ever to go into LR on a day when freezing rain had been predicted anyway...I just didn't want Holly to go by herself. I spent nearly the whole time at the salon checking the radar. Holly said I was about out of control...that I may or may not have been a little rude...and loud. She said I was loud.

WHAT?

She basically said I get all out-of-sorts like the people in the Snickers commercials who are "just not themselves" until they have a Snicker bar...and she gave everyone an "Exhibit A" example from yesterday when the crowds and shopping at Target were about to PUSH ME OVER THE EDGE. She left me in the line to pay and she walked over to the Starbuck's that's in the Target store to get coffee and a treat...and then basically fed me pieces of lemon pound cake while I drove home. She said I was back to my happy self in 10 minutes.

She's probably going to have to start keeping cookies and crackers in her purse for when I get this way, and feed them to me at the proper time...to keep me on my best behavior. Like I used to do for her and her brothers when they were younger.

THE TABLES...OH HOW THEY'VE TURNED.

ANYWAY, I was getting super antsy and the hair-dresser lady could not get done fast enough for me. I could feel my head starting to pound, so I choked down two Motrin with just the saliva in my mouth, SO AS NOT TO MAKE A SCENE OR ANYTHING.

God forbid.

But the bad thing about taking pills without a drink is that they sometimes get stuck in your throat...or neck...or wherever. I don't know if they were, or if I imagined it...but it was not a good feeling and I kept thinking that if I could just swallow a bunch of times, that feeling would go away.

Thankfully, the people at the salon gave me a drink and we got out of there as quickly as possible.

Holly offered to drive home...which I appreciated because she is a good driver...but just the thought of being a passenger in my own car on potentially wet or icy roads would be enough to turn me into one of those Garfield car window things with the suction cups on the paws. I would be stuck on the window and trying to get out!  I said the only way I was letting her drive was 1) if I was dead, or 2) if I was dying, or 3) completely knocked out.

At which point she offered to run by the pharmacy to see if she could get a one-time dose of something really strong that would konk me out in the backseat.

I'm a joy, I know.

But we made it to Panera Bread and picked up Joshua. Holly got a to-go order of soup and half of a sandwich and we took off. I gobbled down half of her half-a-sandwich and immediately felt better. And, 35 minutes later, we pulled into our town, and the freezing rain hadn't started yet (thankfully). I was feeling MUCH better, so we did what other normal people would do in a similar situation: we went to Hobby Lobby.

Because, the crafts.

They were calling me.

And you know what you need when you are stuck at home in an ice-storm besides milk and bread, milk and bread, milk and bread? Crafts.

Altho, I don't know how it's gonna feel doing crafts in the dark...but maybe it won't come to that.

"He says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth,' and to the rain shower, 'Be a mighty downpour.'" Job 37:6

No comments:

Post a Comment