Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Day 2013

Merry Christmas!

We were thrilled to have all 4 of our children with us today...and our son-in-law. Our son's fiance came and had dinner with us, and Clark's girlfriend came for a little while tonight.

A full, blessed day.

The best kind.

I made a breakfast casserole this morning, and I also made this cinnamon roll casserole thing that I saw on another blog. It.was.yummy. Jim fried ham that his mom had sent home with us...and I popped a few biscuits in the oven for those who just wanted to keep it simple.

After I got all of that cleaned up, Holly and Aaron came over and we were ready to open the presents. The very first thing we do every year is read the passage from Luke 2 out-loud. The kids all take a section and it doesn't matter what verses they read, but Joshua HAS to start. It just isn't Christmas without hearing him say, "when Qwi-REAR-ius was governor of Sy-REAR-ia..."

I think everyone liked their gifts. Some will have to be exchanged and some were duplicated...and we had two gifts that have yet to show up...but over-all, it was great! And, now that they are older, I know that if there wasn't one gift under our tree...just being together would be good enough for them.

I have been reminded this year of how quickly things can change. My sister-in-law's father passed away a couple of months ago, and there's a lady from a blog that I read who will soon be meeting Jesus.

If this is all there is, and it all falls apart...then what? Because if this season is all about the lights and the tree and the perfect gifts and all of the traditions our family holds dear, then it would be very sad if and when the time comes when things change and we can't do those anymore.

I am so thankful for the HOPE that we have in Christ...that this earth is not our home. Our eternal home is in Heaven with Jesus, and with family and friends who have gone on before us.

And I am so thankful for Jesus...that He saved me in spite of my sins; that He lives in me, and helps and teaches and guides me each and every day. Of everything and all that I have, I would be lost without Him.

"But the angel said to them, 'do not be afraid; for I bring you tidings of great joy which shall be for all people; for unto you today in the city of David, has been born a Savior, who is Christ the Lord./" (Luke 2:10-11)


No comments:

Post a Comment