Friday, July 12, 2013

You're Gonna Make It After All...

So, the other day I was at my local Wal-Marks.

I know.

And unlike the other WM stores where we used to live, I still haven't been able to get in the groove here...haven't made friends with any of the checkers...and things seem backwards or turned around somehow. And, the verdict is still on our WM, anyway, because The Krogers has smaller buggies, which Joshua LOVES because they are easier to handle...and their bananas are "more bigger." (another Joshua-ism)

But...gotta eat. Gotta have deodorant. Am I right?

So, on one of the aisles, I noticed a woman pushing a buggy full of kids. You know how sometimes you notice parents because they are yelling at their kids or talking to them in a way that makes you sad? Well, this wasn't like that. I noticed her because she was talking and interacting with her kids in a positive way. And I noticed her because things were quite active down there where she was shopping.

I had to smile. I looked down at the end of the aisle and she looked like she had 3 boys...and I thought, "oh, I remember those days!" Except I had 4 kids.

Granted, I didn't always take all 4 kids with me to WM. I tried to take advantage of Mother's Day out programs or ball practice or DADDY'S HOME! times to go to the grocery...just so it wouldn't be so wild.

But there were times. Lots.of.times. Times when I was the one getting the stares and the eye-rolling and the "why didn't she leave all those kids with someone?" glares.

And I don't know how we all got so high and mighty about kids in public places acting up...or acting...like KIDS. I mean, seriously.

Haven't we all been there?

And how quickly we forget.

Anyway, I was kicking myself for not saying something to that mom...some encouraging words or something...because I was feeling prompted by God. I determined that if I ran into her again before I checked-out, I would.

Well, I was busy unloading my groceries onto the belt and checking out when I heard the commotion behind me. Yep. It was her. And something I hadn't noticed before...a little blond-haired, pony-tailed girl sitting in the buggy. I guess I had over-looked her, what with all the activity going on with the boys. Reminded me of my Holly Bear and her three active brothers. These boys weren't being unruly or anything...they weren't throwing fits or whining. They were just being boys...LOUD and laughing and swinging off the buggy on both sides.

And I smiled. I hear you, Lord.

So I turned around and said to her, "I just want to tell you that your children are precious...they are all yours, right?" She smiled back and let out a big sigh, 'yes, they're all mine." I said, "well, when I saw you, it reminded me so much of myself...I have 3 boys and 1 girl, too, and I remember the days." She said, "oh, thank you...I'm having kind of a rough day today."

Kind of a rough day today.

And oh my word, Marty, you have just turned into one of those older women who smile knowingly and nod their heads at you...or pat on everything. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? Because I still feel like I am just like this young mom. UGH. 


And please don't think that I am some super Christian who runs around doing good all day. Nothing could be further from the truth. There are many times...most times, even...when I am so absorbed in what I am thinking and doing that I don't notice anyone around me.

But that day? I left her with some encouraging words...I hope. I told her she was doing a good job and that she was gonna make it.

Because sometimes we just need a little pick-me-up, and it's amazing how a few words can change the tone of a day.

"Anxiety in the heart of a man weighs it down, but a good word makes it glad." Proverbs 12:25

No comments:

Post a Comment