Monday, July 15, 2013

Joshua and His Stickin' Up Hair

Holly and I took Joshua to get his hair cut on Friday.

*Back story* Both of the other boys have been growing their hair out, and it had gotten LONG. The day I drove Clark to Kanakuk, Logan took a wild hair (no pun intended) and went to get his hair cut...fairly short. Short on the sides and longer on top. It looks great! I had a picture of him on my phone and Clark looked at it when we were driving home from Kamp. He said it looked "tight" but that was it.

Well, one day last week, he didn't come home from football at the normal time. I thought they must be running late...working extra hard or something. Clark calmly walked in 2 hours later than usual and his hair...his shoulder-length blonde hair...was GONE! He had gone all by himself to get it cut! I was never so shocked in all my life! Actually, truth be told, I burst into tears. I didn't think he would cut his hair this summer...and I certainly never thought he would get it cut SO SHORT! It's been probably 10 years since he's had short hair. His long, blonde locks have kind of been his signature thing...we've always been able to pick him out of a crowd because his hair made him stand out. In fact, last summer on football picture day...in our new town...at his new school...I was there and watched him walk down the track and up to the bleachers. As he passed by a large section of football players, I heard a few of them call him "Sunshine!" (like, from the "Remember the Titans" movie) Last year, Clark was injured most of the season. I remembered that at OBU, the football players shave the head of the freshmen. My first thought was that this is what had happened. I remember saying, "Clark, who did this to you?"

He was never more proud of himself than at that moment!

Since then, Joshua has been talking about getting his hair cut like theirs. I was wondering how it would work, because Joshua's hair is very wirey. He has worn it basically the exact same way for his whole life. He doesn't really have the head shape to have a "buzz-cuz" (what my boys used to call a buzz hair-cut). AND, his hair is "retreating" (receding)...I just didn't know how it was going to look really short on the sides and then kind of spiked up on top.

But we took him and discreetly explained the situation to a girl who had never cut his hair before. She did a GREAT job. She used some sort of "product" to spike up the front a little and he thinks he is SOMETHING ELSE!

He couldn't wait to show Logan his new "stickin' up hair" when he got home yesterday!

In other news...if he doesn't use the gel stuff on it, it falls naturally the way it has always been before. Guess you can't teach old hair new tricks!

"...old things are passed away; behold, all things become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17


No comments:

Post a Comment