Saturday, July 6, 2013

Tightropes...

I eat my words...a LOT.

Just the other day, my family was watching Nik Wallenda walk over the Little Colorado River Gorge on that little wire...no tether, no safety net. I had to leave the room...I couldn't watch.

I mean, seriously, how irresponsible can one man be? He has a wife...children...friends and other family members. I don't get it. If he fell, his kids would have to see the video of their dad's death...forver.

But I've watched the interviews. It's a tradition in his family...no safety nets. It's their "claim to fame."

Nik Wallenda feels like he is called to do this, and he views it almost like a ministry. Throughout the 22 minute walk, he called out to God and thanked Him for His help, and praised His name many times. And, in subsequent interviews, he speaks of his training...how he is prepared and equipped for this type of stunt. He said that God doesn't keep him on that wire...his training does.

But God calms him on that wire.

And so I thought, "who am I to judge him?"

And I ate my words.

I still don't get it...the whole not-wearing-a-safety-harness thing...but I admire his tenacity, and the bold and confident way he is sharing his faith.

Making much of Christ.

And I think maybe, since we have also been called and equipped, we could do the same...on our own little tightropes of life.

"...the one whose walk is blameless will minister to me." Psalm 101:6

No comments:

Post a Comment