Monday, July 8, 2013

July 4th and Weekend Update

Warning: if you are lookin' to read a funny story about Joshua, get ready to be bored, because this post is not really about him. Unless...teaser...you count that one story at the very end...

We've had a great week and weekend.

Jim and a couple of the boys went down to his parent's house for a couple of days. Jim's Dad is like a real-life Fred Sanford! Jim's parents have a trailer house mobile home on some land that they are trying to sell. They also have several "buildings" on that property that are FULL of junk. Some good stuff, like lumber...but mostly junk. So, they have spent the better part of a month tearing down the buildings and transporting the stuff they want to keep to where they live. Our boys have been a big help, because Jim's.Dad.saves.everything.

It's a job not for the faint-hearted. Logan stepped on a nail. Jim had a board with a nail in it fall on his arm. They've seen snakes, rats...and tons and tons of wasps and hornets. One day, Jim pulled up a board and saw a snake! He was going to kill it, but my father-in-law yelled, "don't kill my snakes! THEY ARE MY PETS. They eat the rats."

Yikes!

They aren't really "pet" snakes, like normal people who want a pet snake would go get from a pet store. These are just snakes that he's allowed to live in all of his junk...because they eat the rats. He has two. Snakes. that is.

While they were having all THAT fun, I stayed home and did some painting and organizing. We've lived in this house nearly a year, and things are still not how we want them. Jim decided to give our bedroom furniture to Logan when we moved here, so we set it up in his room (never mind the fact that Logan is in college 9 months out of the year). And that left us with no furniture in our bedroom at all...except for the bed frame, mattress, box springs...and the entertainment center. Jim put a chest for his clothes in the closet, but all of my clothes have been in 8 Rubbermaid tubs lined up against the wall in our room. For a year.

But not any more!

Our new bedroom furniture came in last week. We are so excited to have it! We bought a headboard, two nightstands and a dresser. I think we are going to go ahead and order the chest-of-drawers. Don't really need it, but we could use it...and it will be good to have everything that matches if and when we ever move from this house. We aren't fancy people, but, not gonna lie...sure is nice to get my things out of the tubs! The only other time we ever bought bedroom furniture was when I was pregnant with Holly, and she will be 25 this year!

So, I'm gonna paint the bedroom walls, and probably paint the walls and the cabinets in the master bathroom as well.

Anyway, I was home for a couple of days all by myself. Early Saturday morning, I went with my sweet future daughter-in-law, Morgan, and her mom and sister...to her appointment at the bridal place. I'll write a post on that later. Jim and the boys came home on Saturday afternoon, and we all went to dinner last night. Holly and her husband joined us...and Morgan. I was so surprised when Logan said Morgan was coming here on Saturday night...but thrilled! She stayed last night, and we all went to church this morning...and had lunch. Holly and Aaron came over and everyone played in the pool all afternoon. Jim grilled burgers and hot dogs for dinner, and it was such a fun, relaxing day.

Feeling very blessed tonight.

Oh! Almost forgot the Joshua story!

We were in the car on the way home from church...5 of us. Someone started singing the "Let's Get Down to Business" song from Mulan. You know, "once you find your cen-ter, you are sure...to win." Tell me we aren't the only weird family who can start a song...or a quote from one of our favorite shows or movies...and the whole rest of the family will join in. Because that's how we roll. ANYway, we pretty much decided that we would watch Mulan after lunch when everyone is usually taking a rest or watching tv. So, we get home, and everyone goes to change clothes...and we hear Joshua BELLOWING out the tune to the Mulan song upstairs...but something made me stop dead in my tracks. As I walked over to the bottom of the stairs to listen closer, I heard it CLEAR AS DAY..."once you find your butt-hole, you are sure...to win."

Don't judge.

I promise we don't talk like that around here. I have never ever heard Joshua say anything even remotely close to that. I called up to him and he came to the top of the stairs. I lifted up my hands and said, "WHAT?" And he grinned and said, "uhhh...sorry." I said, "that is NOT funny," and he said, "hee, hee, hee...I know...hee, hee."

I gave him my best stern face, and when I came in the family room and told everyone what he said, we all fell out laughing.

"...the LORD is good..." Psalm 100:5a

No comments:

Post a Comment