Wednesday, May 18, 2016

"Results Unknown"

I shared here that our youngest son, our baby, hopped on a plane with a group from his college...and traveled half-way across the world. Their assignment? Teaching English to students at the university there, and, ya know...doin' some seed-plantin'.

It took them 2 days to get there. Or, one whole day. Or, maybe a day and half. I don't know, for sure, but it was a LONG TIME. And they gained a day.

Or maybe they lost one.

I don't know.

All I DO know is that, so far, that international data package we purchased? Might've been a waste of money, because I waited and waited and waited to hear from him last night. Someone said, "why don't you track the plane?'

I was purposely NOT tracking the plane, because I had been tracking their first flight, and found that it made me so anxious. But, after everyone advised me, I thought, hey...maybe I should track the plane.

But, guess what? Not every country wants you tracking their air travel. Apparently. Which made me really anxious. And then when the flight board finally, FINALLY updated...late last night...it didn't show "arrived," like every other flight that had arrived. It showed, "results unknown."

Which is what every mom, whose child is on a flight to a foreign country, wants to hear. Except the opposite of that.

I keep my phone charging on my nightstand every night...but I typically keep it on silent. BUT, since Clark is out-of-the-country...and we are on BABY WATCH for the next few weeks with our daughter...I turned it on "ring."

Good thing, too! I heard the tone go off at 1:45 a.m. It was Clark! They had made it to their final destination, and were touring the university. He said things were "amazing" and "bizarre" and "different" and "cool." And he sent us two pictures.

Were they pictures of the plane? No. Were they pictures taken FROM the plane? No. Of the group? No. Their shuttle from the airport? No. Any cool or interesting things they saw on their way to where they are staying? No. The university? No.

The first picture he sent was of a place where you can get fraps and other frozen drinks. Because OF COURSE. The sign, had an English translation under the name, read, "where frozen drinks come true."

The second picture he sent was of two bags of Lay's Potato Chips: one was BBQ flavored, and the other was Seaweed flavored. The BBQ kind was described, in English, as "numb and spicy hot pot flavor," proving translation IS important...and also that you could potentially go to jail for eating potato chips, if they are made from hot "pot."

Thank you for praying for him and the group. I was pretty anxious last night, but I had some friends give me great encouragement...I just had to give my anxiety to the Lord.

"When the cares of my heart are many, Your consolations cheer my soul." Psalm 94:19

3 comments:

  1. Ha! I think there's just something about college boys (maybe boys in general) that's heavily focused on food. Glad he got there safely! As far as hot pot, you should google it. My husband grew up eating different Asian "hot pot" dishes, and they are so yummy. :) Here's hoping you get some actual pictures of your kid and the place sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know what "hot pot" dishes are! My Dad was stationed in Taiwan for 2 years, and we ate tons of oriental food. You're right...hot pot dishes are YUMMY! But CLARK doesn't know about them (yet)...and he is finding all of the English translations to be so funny! He saw a shirt that read, "more love with peace and justice is better," which he is thinking is a "make love, not war" shirt? And a "fake" Nike shirt that read, "do it yourself," which might be a variation of "just do it?" He's not in Taiwan, but he is seeing lots of interesting things! He's got my quirky sense of humor, so he's laughing a lot! We got a couple of pictures of him early this morning...in the middle of our night. I will try to send you one on PM, because it can't be posted...for a couple of reasons.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete