Thursday, January 2, 2014

Unintended Break

I love technology. I don't understand it 99% of the time, but it's awesome, isn't it?

And social media? Pretty cool thing if it's used right.

I think it can be a blessing or a curse, you know...with the over-use or abuse of it. We all hear those stories, and it is something we need to watch out for with our children...and with ourselves.

But you know what else it can be? A big, giant prayer chain. I LOVE being able to read prayer requests and pray for people...even if I don't know them. I've certainly had situations in my life...big things like with Joshua or Clark, or even littler things like when we were trying to sell our house and praying for our move...and you can put them on social media and have a bunch of people praying for your situation in minutes. And it's also a great way to pass on prayer requests from others. Even if you don't want to put it "out there" for all the world to see, you can always send a text or email. "For where two or three have gathered in My name, I am there among them." (Matthew 18:20)

Social media can also be a way to keep in touch with family and friends who live far away. Jim and I have always lived far away from our families. It is a blessing to be able to keep in touch with them and see pictures of their lives. I love it!

For me, it's also a tool I use to obtain knowledge and get encouragement from others...mainly other women...mainly other moms. Back in the day, we had these things called ENCYCLOPEDIAS. People would go door-to-door selling them, and they were very expensive. If you weren't lucky enough to have a set in your home, you had to go to the (gasp!) Library! I love it that now we can "google" anything and find information, answers or directions...almost immediately!

I also love reading encouraging blogs. I have several that I try to read every day. I don't typically read the newspaper or magazines, and I rarely have time to read actual BOOKS. But I do love reading a few blogs.
Here are some of my favorites:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/
http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/
http://thebigmamablog.com/
http://boomama.net/
http://www.aholyexperience.com/
http://www.incourage.me/

I took a little unintended break from my blog the past several days. I could not get my computer to work on the wifi at my sister's house. Or even with the wifi device that we brought with us. Argh. And I was not happy about it. Not at all. It started out being SO frustrating because there were things I thought I wanted to write about and share...things that I wanted to record for my memory and for my children.

We tried everything to get it to work. And by "we," I mean Jim. In the end, as frustrated as I was, I just had to put it down...and leave it.

And, guess what?  The world kept on spinning, and, as Jim's grandmother used to say, "God's still on His throne."

I think sometimes I need to be reminded that only voice I need to hear...is His.

"...as Elijah stood there, the LORD passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper." 1 Kings 19:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment